Chapter 8: 30 Balloons

-

-

I stand in the gym, releasing a flurry of punches and kicks onto the hanging bag, channeling my emotions with precision and violence. "She's been at it for a solid twenty minutes," Jay remarks to Antonio, who has just arrived and settled on the bench.

I pause, sweat dripping, and turn to face him. "Problem?" I ask, panting, before dropping to the floor. Placing a weight bag on my feet, I start a rigorous set of sit-ups.

"Just didn't realize how physical you actually are—am I hallucinating, or have you completed twenty-eight sit-ups already?" Jay comments, watching me with a tilted head.

"Eyes to yourself, Halstead," Antonio warns with a playful edge, despite having no jurisdiction over my relationships. He begins wrapping his knuckles in black tape.

"When are we gonna spar?" Dawson asks Jay, who starts working the punching bag.

"I don't like that look in your eye," Jay responds.

"Nah, you're doing great. Just keep dropping your left every time you throw your right cross. It'll be fun," Tony laughs.

"Is Voight dirty?" Jay suddenly asks, prompting me to pause my workout and join them on the bench, taking a swig of water.

"It's not my department," Antonio replies, his tone serious as he continues wrapping his hands.

"So that's a yes," Jay concludes.

"I almost went down the tubes when I was in Vice, which was right around the time I stopped judging other cops," Dawson says, emphasizing that he won't divulge any further.

"I'm not looking for judgment, just a definition. Do I learn from him, or do I keep my distance?" Jay seeks guidance.

"Both. But if you really wanna know if he's dirty or not, ask her," Antonio nods towards Erin, who has just entered the gym.

"Jazzercise is, like, a block south," Jay jokes as she joins us, dressed in dance-like gym attire.

"Yeah, nice muscle tee," she retorts.

"This is perfectly acceptable attire for the boxing gym," Jay defends himself.

"No, absolutely, and the bonus is you don't have to change later when you break-dance," Erin replies, earning chuckles from Antonio and me.

"It's Voight's kid," Antonio notes as Justin enters.

"Justin," Erin calls over, and he joins us. "This is Antonio, Katie, and Jay. I work with them. Antonio's buddy owns the gym, hence the thirty percent discount."

"Twenty, nice try," he replies.

"How you doing?" Jay greets him, earning a glare from the young man.

"I gotta make some calls," Justin says, turning to leave.