Chapter 16

Chapter 16

~Ella~

A Zombie's arm came flying through the door. Flashbacks of the Zombies that grabbed me at our school came back to me.

I felt sick.

Another bony hand came through the door. Then another. And another.

It was only a matter of time before the wooden door, and chairs stacked on it, came down.

I looked around. We didn't stand a chance against them, it was obvious. Ricky could barely stand and I was pretty sure Jake couldn't see through his right eye. Lizzie was still shaking and couldn't get a grip on her gun, while Logan and Wes were breathing loudly. They were unprepared, unlike me, Jeremy, Dominic, and Alyssa.

There was another bang at the door.

None of us moved. Ricky finally got his head together and, despite the fact that he might be bleeding internally, he stood up with his axe in hand.

I couldn't take it anymore. No one else was going to die. No one.

I walked over to Jake and took the uncooked steak that was on the counter.

"What are you doing?" I heard a voice say, but I wasn't listening.

I walked over to the closest window to the door and elbowed it until it broke. I bit my tongue from the pain of the glass getting into my arm and threw the piece of meat as far as I could.

It wasn't much, but the Zombies nonetheless turned around at the smell of raw meat and followed.

"This gives about thirty seconds," I said, turning around to face them.

"To do what?" Wes asked.

His voice was strong and mature, almost unrecognizable.

"To get the hell out of here," I suggested, walking past everyone and heading into the back room.

It did not take long for them to follow. I opened the back door silently, looking left and right for any of the undead. I turned back and signaled them. Ricky was first, his axe steady in his heads, followed by a less shaky Lizzie.

"Get to the Hummer," I whispered to them.

They nodded and walked off. I signaled Wes and Logan to followed them. Then Alyssa and Jake.

I heard a bang at the front. I guessed our thirty seconds were up.

"Go!" I hissed to Dominic and Jeremy.

We hurried over to the Hummer, trying to make as little noise as possible. Jeremy placed his hand on my lower back unconsciously, pushing me slighty to walk faster. His touch sent chills down my back, but I was dead set on being focused.

I mean, he had Lizzie, right?

But a noise interrupted my thoughts. The back door fell down and a rush of Zombies came out. Jeremy grabbed my hand and we ran.

It's really hard to stay mad at him if he won't let go of you, I thought.

Ricky was in the driver's seat when we reached them. I felt Dominic's hand grab mine and he helped me into the car. The Zombies were hot on our trail.

God, were they getting faster?

Ricky started the engine once we were all in. There was only one problem.

Our only exit was past the Zombies.

"You ready for this?" I asked, looking at Ricky.

He looked at me from the rear view mirror and smiled. It wasn't a pretty sight because he had blood all over his teeth. But I didn't care, I'd seen worse.