Prologue

You Can't Cuddle With A Zombie

Prologue

"'Morning!" seventeen-year-old Ella Masson sang as she skipped down the stairs. Her mother smiled at her.

"Someone's in a good mood," she noticed as Ella came in and kissed her on the cheek.

"Of course, I am! Eric is coming back today!" she squealed, jumping up and down.

Eric Martin was Ella's boyfriend. They'd been dating since middle school. He had gone on a family vacation for the whole Summer in Florida. Ella jumped onto the couch and grabbed her laptop, turning it on. She frowned at the screen.

"What's wrong, Hun?" Diana asked, noticing the worried and disappointed look on her daughter's face.

"It says there's a hurricane coming down in Florida. What if they cancel Eric's flight and he can't come back?" Ella freaked, slamming the laptop shut.

Diana laughed.

"You worry too much," she said before adding, "if you waited all Summer, what's a couple more days?"

Ella rolled her eyes. She hated when her mom was right. Diana poured coffee into her little pink mug and grabbed her keys.

"I'm going to work. You got everything for school ready?" she asked, hurrying to the coat rack and grabbing her purse.

"Yes, mom. Now go, or you'll be late," Ella said, getting up and hugging her.

"Ok, ok. I'll see you later."

****************************************************************************

Ella tapped on her desk impatiently. She tried not to look at her phone, but every second or so she would quickly glace at it. Why hadn't he called? She had called him about an hour ago, but he'd had to go through a security check. But that was an hour ago!

Ella tapped on the desk again. Urgh! She was about to go downstairs when her phone rang. Eric! She jumped up and sped to the phone.

"Hello?" Ella said, trying to sound calm.

"You picked up in a half a ring? Were you waiting by the phone?" Eric asked, chuckling.

"No! I just happened to pass by when it rang," Ella lied, smiling.

"Yeah, right," he said, sounding totally unconvinced.

"I missed you, is that a crime?" Ella demanded, rolling her eyes.

Eric laughed.

"I missed you too." His voice full of sincerity. She smiled.

"I missed you more," Ella teased, laying down on her bed.

"No! I missed you more!" Eric argued back.

"No, I did."

"No, I did."

"No, I did!"

"We get it. You both missed each other. Now move on before I puke!" said a voice in the background, annoyed.

"You're just jealous, Pete," Eric called out to him.

Ella rolled her eyes. "Are you getting on the plane yet?" she asked. Half of her wanted him to say he was. She really did miss him. Everything was better when he was around. However, the other half knew it could be risky.

"Yeah, babe, I'm getting on the airplane right now. I'll be there in, like, three hours- Pete, go away!" Eric yelled down the line as Ella laughed.

"But Eric, there's, like, a huge storm over there!" Ella suddenly panicked. She guessed the worried half was stronger.

"If it was a big deal they would have cancelled my flight, right?" he reasoned in a matter-of-fact voice.

Ella shook her head, despite that fact that he couldn't see her.

"Not unless your pilot is suicidal!" Ella pointed out.

"Ella, really?" Eric chuckled.

She sighed.

"You're right. I'm just worried, that's all," Ella confessed. She heard Pete laugh in the background. "Eric, tell Pete to get a life!" she yelled into the phone.

"Babe, I'm trying! He wont leave. I'm ignoring him," Eric said.

Ella could already see him smirking at Pete, and Pete faking being hurt. She laughed.

"I don't get why you brought him with you on a family vacation," Ella said, rolling her eyes.

Pete's voice came out of nowhere. "You're just jealous that he didn't bring you!" he yelled, laughing.

"Pete, I chose not to go!" she argued back. Really, this kid was annoying!

"Oh, yeah! Cause you're afraid of airplanes!" he yelled, laughing. There was a whack followed by an "ouch!" Ha! Served him right!

"You didn't have to say that, jerk!" Eric yelled. "Give me the phone back!"

"You didn't have to hit me!" Pete yelled back.

There was a silence.

"I'm sorry, Ella. Pete can be a real jerk sometimes," Eric muttered, his voice sounding angry.

Ella smiled. She really loved how protective he was with her. Not many people were.

"It's ok. It doesn't bother me...anymore," Ella confessed.

"You sure?" he asked over by the sound of people moving.

"Eric! Get off the phone!" Eric's dad yelled in the background.

He groaned.

"I don't want to!" Eric argued back like a stubborn little boy.

She laughed and he soon joined in.

"I don't want you to get in trouble. Just called me when you get off the plane, ok?"

Ella looked down, trying not to sound disappointed.

"Ok," Eric said sadly.

"Be careful, ok? Weather can be tricky," she said, worried.

"I will, babe. I'll be ok. Don't worry," he said smoothly, trying to calm her down. "Ok?"

"Ok," Ella smiled. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Ella."

That was the last thing Ella Masson ever heard her boyfriend say.