Chapter 10

Chapter 10

We all froze.

"I'm not bluffing," she said.

We all looked at each other before putting down our guns.

She smirked.

This was one scary girl.

"Oh, Emma, stop scaring them!" a female voice called out of nowhere.

A woman appeared next to her. Probably her mom.

"Put your gun down, have I taught you no manners?"

Yeah, I was right.

We all stood there in shock and confusion as she put her gun down with a pout on her face.

"I apologize for my daughter's behavior. It's just we're not use to having human people here," the woman said, taking the gun away from her daughter.

"Where is everyone?" Alyssa asked, finally speaking.

I couldn't find my voice because I was trying to think whether or not that girl knew how to use that rifle.

"Dead," Emma simply said.

"What she means is that they got turned into those Zombie things. We survived because we hid underground. When everyone was turned, the Zombies just left, probably looking for something else to feast on." The woman smiled. "I'm sorry, we haven't introduced ourselves. I'm Alison Ridge and this is my daughter, Emma."

More like the she-devil.

"I'm Ella, this is Alyssa, Dominic, and Jeremy."

They all waved awkwardly. Alison was still smiling at us like a freaking barbie doll.

"Now, I know - knew everyone in this town. And I know you aren't from here," Alison said, the smile never leaving her face. "How did you guys get here?"

"In a truck," I replied. "We're from a town a few miles back."

Emma smiled and looked at her mom.

These people were freaking me out.

"Well, come on. Us survivors have got to stick together!" Alison chimed, turning and leaving the bowling mat, her daughter following.

We all glanced at each other.

"Anyone else completely scared by them?" Dominic asked in a low voice.

"Yes," we all said at the same time, laughing.

We went outside to find Emma and Alison whispering to each other. When they saw us. they stopped.

Yeah, totally not suspicious.

"OK, first we have to make a stop at the grocery store. Why don't one of you go and get your truck and meet us there? How's that sound?"

We nodded, and Jeremy and Alyssa went out to get our truck.

The walk to the grocery store was silent and awkward.

"So it's just you and your mom?" I asked Emma when Alison was far ahead of us.

"Yeah. My jackass of a father left before I was born," Emma said coldly. "I hope he's rotting in Zombie hell right now."

I remained quiet. Damn, this kid had issues.

We arrived at the grocery store and my mouth dropped open.

The grocery store was not a store at all, it was a freaking warehouse!