Chapter Thirty Seven

The next morning the sun which rose on Coraina shone through the windows of Ravina’s house and landed on the three of them curled up on the seats of her parlour, surrounded by piles of fabric and a mess which made it look like someone had rifled through all of Ravina’s drawers in the night and thrown everything on the floor. Safita was folded into a small chair, curled into herself under the blanket which she was hugging, apart from one leg which dangled dangerously over the arm. Hergun was spread out on one sofa snoring loudly and Ravina was lying on the other, her arms tucked under her torso and her blanket balanced precariously on one leg, with a corner trapped between her thighs while the rest of it was pulled inexorably towards the wooden floor.

Ravina woke first and grabbed some hunks of bread, laying them out on the table alongside meat, cheese and some jam, before answering the insistent knocking on the door which had disturbed her in the first place. “Come in Maeven,” she said, leading the girl inside to the parlour, where Hergun and Safita were now sitting up and rubbing their eyes. “Oh good, you’re awake,” she observed before gesturing to the table. “Breakfast is there if you want it.”

“Who’s this?” Safita asked, warily eyeing the timid girl who stood in front of her, examining her but refusing to make eye contact with Safita; her dress was clean but worn and she looked as if she had seen better days.

“This,” Ravina replied, “is Maeven.”

“Why is she here?”

Ravina placed her hands on Maeven’s shoulders and said, “Maeven has very kindly agreed to help us.”

“Oh right,” Hergun nodded as Safita asked, “How? Are you a servant or something?” She stood up and moved to the table, seizing a piece of bread and slathering it in raspberry jam before biting it hungrily.

“Er no,” Maeven replied, “I work at the market.”

“Don’t scare her away Safita,” Ravina warned, “we need her.”

Safita, mouth stuffed full, widened her eyes and gestured to herself, her exclamation of “Me?” somewhat muffled by the food in her mouth. “I wouldn’t dare,” she said once she had swallowed it.

“It’s fine Ravina,” Maeven replied, “I’ve committed to this. I’ll see it through. It will be nice to see the inside of the palace.”

“Good,” she said. “Right well I think we’ve got everything we need so we can probably get down to business.”

“I’m all for secrecy,” Safita interrupted, “but it doesn’t much help when we’re supposed to know what we’re doing.”

“Patience, I’m getting there.” Ravina sat down at the table and Maeven followed her while Hergun grabbed a chair from the other end of the table and sat with his chest pressed against its back. Safita, still eating the bread in her hand, stayed standing as she waited for Ravina to speak.

“Wouldn’t you say that Maeven looks like you?” she began.

“Not in the slightest,” Safita responded as Hergun said, “You can see a bit of a resemblance.” She glared at her friend and crossed her arms. “Where is this going?”

“Who would suspect another attempt at a break in if they already had that person locked up in their dungeons?”

Safita frowned and pointed viciously at Maeven. “You’re not suggesting what I think you are, are you? You can’t expect me to go along with this.”

“It’s the best way Safita,” Ravina argued.

“Why would you agree to this?” she asked, directing her question at Maeven.