Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Finred kicked the solid wooden door violently, too tired to do anything and refusing to put Safita down in the rain to free up his hands; mercifully a motherly woman opened it for him, gasping when she saw the state of her guests.

“Your best rooms and a physician immediately please,” Finred commanded as he strode inside while the woman flapped about, straightening her apron self consciously when she heard him ask for her best rooms.

“Of course mister,” she said as she motioned hurriedly to a young serving girl. “Quickly, go and fetch the physician,” she said as she beckoned to another girl and ran upstairs in front of Finred.

“Here, lay your wife down on the bed,” she said, fussing around the room and Safita’s unconscious body, “and the physician will be here shortly. She will need to be changed out of her clothes though; oh my they’re absolutely soaking!” she exclaimed. “Best we do it now before the physician comes,” she said as she all but ripped Safita’s cloak off her and handed it to one the young maid who had followed them. “Grab a clean nightgown from the laundry closet would you Rinn?” she asked as the young girl ran off and she unbuckled Safita’s belt before beginning on her tunic. Rinn returned after a moment clutching a linen nightgown in her hands and instantly supported Safita’s body as the lady whipped her tunic off and threw it in a crumpled heap on the floor. Finred averted his eyes quickly as they began to unwind the strips of fabric around Safita’s torso but not before he glimpsed the creamy expanse of her shoulders and back, fair skin stretched taut over the muscles of her back. “Don’t just stand there sire; you can help by getting her boots off,” he was commanded as the nightgown was pulled over Safita’s head, billowing through the air like a sail before settling on her slim shoulders.

“Of course,” Finred murmured as he knelt beside the bed, working his fingers through the laces of Safita’s knee high boots. The soft leather was encrusted with mud and pieces of greenery which clung to the laces and stuck them together, skittering, scattered, over the wooden floor as Finred ripped them apart. As he ran his hands over her boots he found two identical hard lumps on the outside of her legs; slipping his hands inside he almost laughed when he pulled out a dagger; slipping both under the bed quickly he proceeded to peel the boots gently from her legs and place them on the floor as the two women pushed him aside and tugged the sodden trousers from her legs, throwing the soiled clothes on the floor.

“Takes those to the laundry Rinn,” cried a voice as a knock resounded on the door.

“You called for a physician ma’am,” he announced as the young girl gathered up Safita’s clothes and hurried out of the door while Finred straightened up, adjusting his cloak.

“Yes yes,” she said as she all but dragged him over to the bed, “this woman is gravely sick.”

The physician paused as he examined her from afar before opening his bag. He sighed as he felt her forehead and turned her head from side to side, peering at her eyes as he opened her lids and she moaned. “She has a fever, probably from an infection. Does she have any injuries?”

“Just the one,” Finred supplied, “on the shin of her right leg.” The physician turned back the bed sheets and carefully unlaced the makeshift bandage around Safita’s shin when their hostess suddenly squawked in astonishment. “What are you doing in here? I know she’s here with you but it is unseemly!” Finred started in surprise at her words and the physician turned to look at the pair of them. “Actually I would prefer to examine this lady alone, if you please,” he said quietly. “It will not be a sight for squeamish eyes and certainly not for a woman.”

“Of course, I understand,” the lady said, not completely contently, as she fussed with her apron once more. “Perhaps I will show this fine young gentleman to his room for you cannot stay with your friend while she is ill.” Ushering Finred outside she opened the door of the room next to Safita’s and showed him inside. Though small it clearly was one of the better rooms in the inn for the stairs outside were worn and creaking and the other doors which were on the first floor were not half as well polished as his and Safita’s.