14

Last chapter

Last chapter

We finally walked into Castle Rock at about five o'clock on a Sunday morning, the day before Labor Day. We'd only been gone two days, but somehow the town seemed different smaller.

We all stopped and sat in silence, taking in what happened the last two days

"Well, see you in school" Vern spoke up and we all looked up.

"Yeah" Chris smiled at Vern.

"Yeah" Gordie repeated Chris's words

"See ya in Junior High" Summer smiled at Vern and he walked off. As Vern walks away he finds a coin in the street and bends down to get it. He holds it up and smiles back at us."A penny!" He smiles back at us and we all grin.

"Well, guys I better get home before my mom puts me on the Ten Most Wanted list" Teddy starts to walk away and than turns back. He runs up to Summer and kisses her cheek. Teddy walks off in another direction, and as he does he begins to sing.

"Well we will see you in school" I point to Summer and I and she nods.

"Yea" she smiles at the Chris and Gordie.

"Okay I'll see you guys" Chris walks away and Gordie follows him. Gordie than turns around and runs up to me. He looks in my eyes and kissed my lips. He holds onto my cheeks and he lets go. I smile up and him and we both turn red. I than feel a hand on my wrist and Summer is pulling me away.

"Okay let go love birds" he giggles and Gordie smirks at me.

We walked away.

As time went on we saw less and less of Teddy and Vern, until eventually they became just two more faces in the halls. It happens sometimes. Friends come in and out of your life like busboys in a restaurant.

I heard that Vern got married out of High School, had four kids, and is now the forklift operator at the Arsenault Lumberyard.

Of course Teddy and Summer stayed together. We were always best friends. She stayed with Teddy but I never stayed friends with him. Summer and I occasionally met up and had coffee but I never seen much of Teddy.

Teddy tried several times to get into the Army, but his eyes and ear kept him out. The last time I'd heard, he'd spent some time in jail. Summer was upset of course. He was now doing odd jobs around Castle Rock.

Gordie pov/

Chris and I walk to the tree house. Chris seemed sad.

"I'm never gonna make it out of this town, am I, Gordie" Chris looks over at me and I shake my head.

"You can do anything you want, man" I look at him dead in the eyes.

"Yeah, sure" he paused. "Gimme some skin" we do our hand shake and he laughs.

"I'll see you" I smile at him.

"Not if I see you first" Chris walks away and I stand there looking out on Castle rock.

Chris did get out. He enrolled in the college courses with me, and, although it was hard, he gutted it out like he always did. He went on to college and eventually became a lawyer.

Last week he entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument one of them pulled a knife. Chris, who had always made the best peace, tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly. It broke my heart. It broke our heart.

El and I stayed together. We grew up together. We both separated and went to college but we came back to Castle Rock just to see each other.

1985

Im typing on my computer. The sound of clicks fill the room. I became a writer and I wrote about them. About Vern, Summer, Teddy, Chris, my wife. That summer I will always remembered.

I continued write.

Although I hadn't seen him in more than ten years, I know I'll miss him forever.

I was interrupted by El knocking on the door."Come on Gordie we have to meet Summer for dinner" I nod and she closes the door. I continued to write

I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

 Jesus, does anyone?

The end

Oh my god I cried to hard
Ah anyway I hope you guys enjoyed this as much as I loved writing it.
There will be one more chapter after this one
Ugh I'm so sad
Thanks for 1k reads it means a lot
Thank you
-brianna