13

Ok this book is almost done and honestly I'm very upset

We continued to walk in silence. I took in the scenery. The birds chirped and the sun was shining. I heard the soft flow of the river. I was happy and relaxed until the reality of finding a dead body came to me. A rush of nervousness took over me and just sighed.

"Comin' through the woods, I bet we saved over an hour" Chris stopped and so did the rest of us.

"Teddy?" Gordie looked at Teddy. That was the first word he said since he yelled at us.

"Yeah?" He looks at Gordie and then at the ground.

"Is this the Back Harlow Road?" Gordie questioned.

"Yeah" once Teddy said that the palms of my hand got sweaty. I was scared. I never saw a dead body.

"That Brower kid must be around here someplace. Teddy, you Summer and Vern watch the left side of the tracks, we'll take the right." Chris looked at Gordie and I and we nodded.

We started waking up the tracks observing our surroundings. Vern gasped and started to scream.

"There he is! I see him! Look! Look over there! I see him! I see him!" Vern shouted and we all surrounded him. We saw a leg popping out from the brush.

We all just stood there. I thought about how a train knocked the life out of Ray Brower.

"Jesus" Chris breathed out. Ray wasn't alive he was sure dead.

"Let's look for some long branches. We'll build him a stretcher" I suggested and started to bite my nails.Gordie sits down looking at the ground not speaking or moving. "Gordie" I sit next to him and put my hand on his.

"Why did you have to die?" He sighed and a tear rolled down his cheeks.

"What's the matter with Gordie?" Vern questions.

"Nothing. Why don't we just go over there and look for some branches, okay?" Chris answers and I nodded. Teddy, Summer Chris and Vern move on.

"Why did he have to die, El? Why did Denny have to die? Why?"

"I don't know. Everything thing happens for a reason Gordie"

"It should've been me" he looks up at me then looks back down.

"Don't say that" I raise my voice. I don't like to see him hurt.