Chapter 37: Welcome Back

Hey everyone. I was a terrible, terrible person and didn't update in a while. This semester is killing me. I have never in my life wanted to just throw in the towel, or hit a professor, so badly. But... I'm pushing through and trying to make the best of it. I'm hoping that over spring break (which is in like 2 and a half weeks) I'll be able to update everything again for you all. But, in the meantime, I really hope you enjoy this, as I had no clue what I was doing. :P

********************************************************************************

            Artemis took a deep breath as he stepped off the plane at Bishop International Airport. It was December 21st, and he was finally back in Flint to visit Diana. It had been a long few months away, and admittedly he was glad to be in the murder capital of the United States. The semester had drained him, and he was ready for the short vacation with his girlfriend and her family.

            The Irish boy walked through the terminal, growing ever closer to seeing Diana once again. Artemis silently wondered if anything would be different now, if they had grown apart, if Diana would still be happy to see him. Artemis shook the feeling as the groups of people awaiting their loved ones came into view. He scanned the crowd for a moment, trying to spot his girlfriend and her family. It didn't take Artemis long; Diana and her family were standing near the front of the mass of people, somewhat off to the side.

            For a moment, his eyes met Diana's, and a huge smile spread across her face. As soon as Artemis set a foot across the security gate, he found himself engulfed in a tight embrace. He hugged the girl back, knowing that, at least for the moment, it was as if he had never left Flint.

            When Diana finally pulled away from him, she said, "Welcome back, Arty. How was your flight?"

            Artemis shrugged lightly. "Better than my last one, certainly. A little turbulence, but it was worth it, as I am back here with you."

            Diana blushed slightly, the smile on her face growing ever-larger. "Well, I'm glad you're back. I could use a little taste of sanity after the first three months of school. I swear, one more day with these idjits and I'll have to be locked up in either a mental asylum or prison."

            Artemis blinked at the use of the word "idjits" but shook it off. He assumed it was a reference to something, although he wasn't entirely sure what. "Luckily for you there are a few weeks before you have to go back."

            "Thank the Lord," Diana breathed, taking his hand in hers. "C'mon! Let's go get your bags."

            The girl led him over to her parents and sister. Artemis hadn't seen them since he had been gone; he had at least seen Diana through Skype and picture messages, but he hadn't seen anything of her family in a while. He was glad to see nothing had changed, although Marisa's hair was a bit shorter now. Artemis was wondering how his stay with them was going to work out. Originally, he had planned on staying at a local hotel, but Diana apparently worked out something with her parents, and now he was to be staying with them. He wasn't sure if that meant he would be staying on the couch or what, but at this point he wasn't too concerned about it.

            "I see you've arrived in one piece," her father greeted.

            "Luckily," Artemis replied.

            "Glad to hear it."

            Without another word, the group began to make their way through the throngs of people towards the baggage pick up areas. Artemis admittedly wasn't sure which carousel would have his luggage for a few moments until his flight number appeared on one of the screens. Once he noticed that, he and Diana moved towards that area.