Chapter 28: The Truth

• Dedicated to All the readers. :)

Hey everyone! No real news to report, other than I'm sorry I didn't have this done earlier in the week. Got sucked into a book (Ender's Game, if any of you want to know) that I couldn't put down! So I ignored writing for about two days until I finished it. :P And since Wattpad won't let me dedicate to anyone specific (something about 'invalid emails'), I dedicated it to all of you! Anyways... hope you all enjoy this chapter! :D

******************************************************************

            Diana sat on her bed, kicking her legs gently over the edge, trying to pass the time until Artemis returned from his meeting. On top of that, she was still trying to absorb all of the intriguing events Artemis has told her about his life. It was almost surreal- kidnappings, rescue missions, revolutions, conspiracy theories, power-hungry pixies, multiple personality disorders, death. Diana could simply not believe that he had been through so much in his short life. But once he had told her his life story, everything else he had ever said started to make sense, like why he didn't date or have many friends.

            But in the end, would it even matter? If the elf in charge got his way, Diana wouldn't remember any of that information anyways. The girl closed her eyes, trying to make herself forget about Artemis Fowl since in only a few short hours it was likely she wouldn't even know who he was. But her efforts were futile. Just like the night they had met, the boy's eyes stared back at her, reminding her of every reason she couldn't just forget him.

            Diana decided that wasn't going to work. She opened her eyes with a sigh, falling backwards onto the bed. It was at that moment, the girl was truly grateful to no longer be attached to any of the machinery she was only a little while ago. Before she had been left alone, Foaly had been kind enough to take the IV from her arm. Diana shook that thought from her mind; there were more important things to deal with right now. She had to face the facts; soon she wouldn't remember any of this. Chances are, it wouldn't even return to her in dreams, and even if it were to, she would just disregard it like it was a common dream.

            As pathetic as it sounded, Diana was disappointed by this whole stage of events, but mainly only because she would never be able to tell Artemis how she felt. And at this point, even if she were to tell him in the sparing moments before the mind wipe, it wouldn't matter anyways. It was a hopeless situation unless Artemis somehow worked some magic of his own. But until she knew for sure, the girl closed her eyes, allowing herself one last glimpse into Artemis' eyes.

            "Taking a nap, I see?" a voice questioned seemingly out of nowhere.

            Diana shot upright, obviously startled by the question. The girl thought she had been alone, but after opening her eyes and taking a quick glance, she spotted Artemis entering the room, quietly shutting the door behind him. "No," she finally answered him.

            A weak smile formed on Artemis' face, but he said nothing more on the matter. The Irish boy crossed the room, taking a seat next to Diana. He stared at the ground, not speaking for several moments. "I spoke to the commander," he said quietly.

            Diana nodded slowly, not wanting to know what the outcome was. "How did it go?" she asked, hesitantly.

            Artemis shrugged lightly. "In all honesty, I have no idea. The note it ended on was... questionable to say the least. I tried... I really did."

            Diana frowned, noting the sadness in her friend's voice. "I had a feeling, and I appreciate your attempt. I truly do."

            "For your sake, I hope I was able to convince Commander Kelp that wiping your memories is pointless," Artemis continued. "If he does decide to, I'm not quite sure I have enough time to make a trigger, but I'll do my best regardless."