Chapter 3

I spent the rest of the day going through the motions while the picture of the Zachary look alike ran through my head. I barely paid any attention to any of my classes. If I was out on a hunt and wasn't paying attention to my surroundings I could be dead right now. It was my last class of the day before I started to pay any attention at all.

"Carmen, are you okay?" Zachary asked waving his hand in front of my eyes as the teacher got their stuff together to leave after school. The join of the weekend.  "What's wrong?"

"What?" I said snapping my head up. "Oh, nothing is wrong." I wouldn't look him in the eye... I couldn't look him in the eye. I'm acting stupid, I'm over reacting but there's a feeling deep inside of me saying not to push the picture out of my mind and forget about it. There is something wrong and I don't know if I really want to know the truth or not. 

"Carmen, I know when you are lying and you are lying. What happened? Did Jason do or say something?"

"Calm down,  it's not always about him!" I snapped without thinking the thought through. "He didn't do anything, he never has and I don't think he ever will."

"Sorry, it's just the last time we saw you at lunch he was watching you. Will you please tell me what is wrong? I have never seen you like this," he said with his hands up in the air. 

"It's nothing, I'm fine. I'm just over reacting over something I found," I said looking through my text book but not paying any attention to what is on the page.

"Are you going to tell me what you found or are you going to sit there and zone out on all of us?"

"Why do you want to know so bad? Hiding something?" I snapped.

"I'm just worried, I have nothing to hid. What is wrong?" he asked again but the bell saved me this time. I slam my book closed and jumped up out of my chair and ran out the door with my book bag over one shoulder.  I made it to my locker without running into Nicole or Kait but didn't make it to my truck without Zachary grabbing my arm and stopping me.

He pulled me over to a bench and made me sit down. "What the hell is wrong? Friends don't hide stuff from their other friends."

"I don't have a choice, I need-," I said looking at the ground. 

"You always have a choice," he butted in.

"Well I don't, besides I know you are hiding something. I have a feeling and I'm never wrong with my feelings," I snapped and turned to look at him.  "I don't get why you won't drop this and leave me alone!"

"Why won't you tell me what is wrong? Is it that bad?" he snapped back. I looked away and knew I was over reacting but he was pissing me off. He wouldn't drop this and he ran after me to try to finish this when I don't want to talk about it. If he knew what was wrong then he would call me crazy. 

"You'll think I'm crazy and I don't want to talk about it. It's stupid and nothing to worry about," I mumbled as I watched Jason watching us.  "I need to go," I said standing up and headed to my truck. Once I was sure Zachary wasn't following me I locked my doors and started my truck. I had to wait for the parking lot to clear out before I could leave and the whole time I watched as Zachary and Jason eyed each other and had a stare off. What is up with those boys?

Jason has never done anything to me that should have Zachary on the edge whenever they are around me at the same time.  I tried not to think about this that much but the only time Jason did anything more than stare at me was when he helped me fix my truck.  I had just finished a hunt and had some cuts on my face when my new used truck died on me. I was able to pull over to the side of the road before I couldn't go any farther. I had my lights flashing and was trying to get a hold of Serenity to come and help when I saw head lights behind me. 

I poked my head out my window with the phone still to my ear and saw Jason get out of the driver's side. I stared in surprise as he came up to the front of my car and oped the hood. He didn't say anything but just went to work. He made a sign with his hand as if he was turning a key and it took me a few minutes to realize he was telling me to try to turn the key. The truck started and he closed the hood. The next surprise was that he was smiling when he closed the hood.

Ever since then he had kept his distance and hadn't smiled at me or at any other time. It shouldn't matter to me one way or another if he smiled ever again but when he had a few years back it had made me feel warm inside. I have always been happy with life but that night it felt like my life was perfect and it didn't matter that I had no mom and dad any more. That it didn't matter that I had two moms who adopted me the minute they saved me, it didn't matter that I hunted demons, and that I had to keep secrets from Zachary. 

Sorry for being so short but I'll be posting chapters through out the day today since I might lose power this week from an ice storm we are having here in Georgia.