Chapter Four

Alrighty! A new chapter! Yippee :)

I hope you all enjoy this, I had quite a bit of fun writing it!

                                                    *************************************************

We got into groups of two, Naomi immediately paired up with Ant, leaving me feeling vulnerable and slightly hurt. When nearly everyone was paired up, a tall guy with curly red hair and warm hazel eyes walked over to where I was standing and stopped in front of me, smiling like a lunatic. I could tell right then and there we’d get on rather well.

“Hello.” he said holding out his hand. I took it and shook it firmly.

“Hi.” I replied smiling politely at him.

“The name’s Gabe.” He introduced himself. “But you can call me tonight.” He winked.

“Gabe? As in Gabriel?” I asked, ignoring his cheesy pick-up line. He laughed at me.

“Yeah, that’s my full name, but I think it sounds better when people call me Gabe; more edgy.” He winked again and I giggled. 

 “My name is Keturha.” I cringed as he laughed at my unusual name. “Ha ha very funny” I said sarcastically.

We broke up our incredibly tantalizing conversation as Ant climbed onto what was apparently called ‘the stump’ (which I learned about 3 seconds ago from eavesdropping). He blew his whistle to get everyone’s attention. The sweet sound drifted between the chatty students quieting them down. Everybody stopped talking and looked up at him, awaiting instructions.

 “I want each pair to come up and grab a piece of parchment, on it will be a number; that number is the station on which you  will be practicing on for..?” He hesitated, glancing at his watch “Fifteen minutes. That will be your warm up.”

A girl with long brown hair braided down her back, shot her hand into the air. Ant nodded at her, signaling for her to ask her question. “Um Sir, what is the main lesson today going to be?”

“We…” He paused grimacing. “Are going to hunt Cyiones” (Pronounced Sai-ons)

A gasp left a majority of the group’s mouths and horrified whispers filled the air making me think that these Cyiones aren’t to be messed with. “Guys, I’m so sorry.” he apologized his brow creasing. “Professor Jade ordered it to be your first task of the year.”

The girl with the braided hair looked absolutely devastated. She wasn’t the only one though; some girls had even started crying. This was starting to get slightly worrisome. Not even Gabe was looking too well, his skin was a shade lighter from his original honey tan and he had a gloomy look about him.

I raised my hand hesitantly, not sure if it would be appropriate to ask what they actually were. “Um… Sir?” he nodded in recognition. “What are th-the Cyiones?” I asked.

The field went silent as though I said something so bizarre, so unusual. As though I had done something unforgivable and came from another planet.

 Ant cleared his throat “Cyiones are… monsters.” He paused. “They live in the heart of Raven forest, feeding off any living form.” His face twisted into a pained expression and his hands clenched over his pale white bow, his knuckles turning a similar colour. “Including A.I.T’s. They give birth to approximately a hundred spawn per year and it is our job to go on a hunt every three years and, yes unfortunately, you beginners have to partake in this gruesome activity.” He sent an apologetic grimace towards Naomi and me as we wondered if we would make it through the first lesson and if we did. Were there more challenging classes to attend?

“Naomi, I will give you some tips and Ket, I trust you’ve already met Gabriel?” I rolled my eyes as Gabe did the eyebrow dance, making me laugh at his stupidity. “Well, Gabe will pretty much be your human shield and he’ll make sure that you at least know the basics to archery by the end of the day and won’t end up as a Cyiones lunch.” I cringed at his casual tone, as though it was normal for someone to be killed by the first lesson. “Okay now that we’ve got that covered we should get it over and done with, follow me.”

Gabe grabbed my hand, I didn’t object since I was shaking uncontrollably and probably wouldn’t have done much if I had tried. “What do they look like?” I asked.

“Well…” He paused “Try to imagine that they were born in hell and mutated by Satan himself.” I shivered at his crude description, he hadn’t come across as a grim individual, it seemed as though these monsters really had tainted this pure world.

…..

About two hours later, I had grasped the basics of archery and we were all headed into the ominous trees. The forest consisted of damp mossy floors and thick pine trees that towered, at least, twenty meters above us. Few noises emitted themselves from overhead. The group was silent among the forest trees; well that’s actually a lie. Gabe was whispering tips about how to hold the bow correctly and how to notch an arrow without it bouncing back like a boomerang.  We reached a point when the forest was absolutely silent, even quieter than before; there was nothing that seemed alive in the world.  But then just as I let go of the thought I heard a gruesome howl. It echoed around the forest sending shivers up my spine and lifting goose bumps on my arms. I heard Naomi whimper and I saw her in the corner of my eye, grasping Ant’s arm. He smiled down at her and took her hand.

Well that relationship definitely didn’t take long, I snorted to myself quietly. Gabe looked at me curiously as if he wanted to know what I was thinking, and then a knowing smile slipped across his lips as if he knew what I was thinking about. But it was gone in seconds, so fast that I’m not sure if he smiled at all. I shook my head and but stopped day dreaming as Gabe stiffened, I listened closely and heard it as well. The quiet rustling of leaves and breaking twigs were slightly demoralizing.

“Ket.” A voice whistled through the trees, I jumped at the sound of my name. “Keee-et.” The ominous voice repeated. My blood turned into ice as the sound reverberated around the expansive forest, the group halted at the crack of a branch. I turned around, and then I saw them. Cyiones.

                                                *******************************************************

So what ya'll think? 

I thought it was alright ha.

So you know what to do! 

Comment critisicm,

VOTE!

Or/and Fan :) 

THANK YOU!