Chapter 13

"So my child, what adventures did you go on today?" Gideon asks as Emmeline entered his chamber.

"Papa why are you still awake? Are you feeling all right?" Emmeline asks, walking to his bedside.

"I am fine my dear, but you have a glow about you. Did you have a pleasant evening?"

"I did, it was a lovely day. Matilda helped me bake bread for the deliveries for tomorrow. She will be staying with us in a few weeks with your permission. Her father must leave for town and needs a caretaker for her."

"Of course, how is Lord Hargrave? Since he kept you until late hour, is he in good health?"

"He is in fine health Papa."

"Then I must ask if I shall hear of your ruination soon."

"Oh no, he offered me a meal that was all. I believe it was as a 'thank you' for looking after Matilda."

"But you are getting paid, correct?"

"I am, I do not know what came over him to ask me for a meal but I assure you nothing improper happened. We spoke mainly of Matilda. You know how parents get after their child has been ill. Lord Hargrave is quite the attentive father."

"My dear, settle your nerves. I trust you to know what is proper. You just have an air about you that I have not seen in a while and I wished to know the cause of it. I am sure Lord Hargrave is the epitome of a gentleman. I shall confirm my theory when he drops his daughter off."

"Yes of course. Is there anything I can get for you?"

"Just a hug goodnight. I know you have a busy day tomorrow."

"Goodnight Papa." Emmeline says, hugging her father and snuffing out his bedside candle. Emmeline went into the kitchen and began preparing the supplies needed for her visitations the next day.  The visits always consisted of spiritual help from the local minister and her own medicinal healing.

After her bag was successfully packed she went into her room and dressed for bed, taking a moment to look in the small looking class. "What glow is Papa referring to?" She wondered, bringing her hand to her cheek, "I'm still the same girl I was before the arrival of Lord Hargrave and Matilda. Nothing in me has changed." She decided before going to sleep.

~

"Good morning Mr. Lucas, how is Harriet doing today?"

"She has not changed much since you last were here. The priest's son is visiting with her right now, a part of his training." An older man in his mid 60s responds.

"Reverend James is not in attendance today?"

"No, 'tis his boy that is with her now. Did he not tell you that?" The pair sits down at the kitchen table

"I was not made aware but I know Christopher and I am sure he is doing a fine job."

"So he has his seal of approval?" Mr. Lucas asks as Emmeline begins bustling about the kitchen.

"Do you think the Reverend would send someone he did not trust? You trust me because I am my mother's daughter."

"Ah yes, Eleanor was always good to us."

"She was indeed, to everyone she met. What can I do for you while Christopher is visiting with Harriet? Is your back still causing you aches?"