Chapter 39

The Keller's lived in a respectable townhome in London. It wasn't in the most fashionable district, as Dr. Keller was not a full member of polite society, but it was grand enough to show Dr. Keller's importance for the nobles.

He was the primary physician for most of the upper class that resided in London. He had not the title of the Queen's physician, but cared for many who found themselves in the society pages. His jovial demeanor was a breath of fresh air for the Ton. He was able to put his patients at ease, helping them deal with the "harshness" of London's air. There was a friendly civility about him that allowed those that called on him to trust him with even the most embarrassing of ailments.

Fanny was the ideal physician's wife. She was kind and gentle and would often go into the office with him to help put patients at ease. There was a tender nature about her that allowed people to relax.

Many who grew up with them knew they were a love match. Together they took care of London's elites with generosity and joy.

~

Emmeline had settled into her room quite nicely. The time had  passed rather quickly and the second Sunday of Advent passed without much comment. There was a slightly somber air to London as many prepared for the various feasts and parties that would come in a few weeks with a start to the Christmas season.

She fell into a quiet routine. The Kellers' understood the loss that she had undertaken and allowed her the space to grieve that she so desperately needed.

In the morning she would wake with the sunrise and take a walk in the garden behind the house before meeting Mrs. Keller for breakfast. She would then spend the day however she chose, often in prayer, talking to her parents. After, she would break for luncheon. Her afternoons were spent with Mrs. Keller, visiting with various members of London's society or working on embroidery pieces for the church. Dr. Keller would return to the house around six and the three would have a quiet supper together before Emmeline would retire to her chamber to read and, eventually, sleep.

It was a quiet life. Despite London being far busier than Abbotshire, Emmeline was able to find a sense of peace. No one paid her any mind if she went to the shop to run some errands for Mrs. Keller or if she went walking in the nearby park. It was bliss. Her mother would often say that no one ever grieves fully, and the loss of a loved one could be felt for the rest of one's life until they are reunited in the Great Beyond. The only thing one could do was give themselves the grace to feel.

Occasionally, perhaps when in the middle of prayer or when working on a sewing piece, her mind would wander back to Abbotshire. She would find herself smiling. The memory of a ball, of an injured nobleman, and of a wonderful dance, would enter her mind. Much too soon, an overwhelming sadness would soon accompany it. A life that might have been, a fantasy she had created in her mind. It was not to be. It was this fantasy that killed her father. Her stitches would soon become tight and more rigid. Then she would stop her work, and weep.

~

Daniel, for his part, was doing as Mrs. Ellis advised. He did not contact her. Their last conversation had left him feeling so ill-at-ease. There were many a day he would come up with excuses to venture to London.

He would imagine passing her on the street, her hair tied up in a loose plait. Perhaps she would be talking to a friend, he thought. And then she would notice him. Her eyes would light up and she would share a small smile with him. She would make a polite excuse to her friend and she would go to him. She would laugh at how formal he seemed as he offered her his arm. He would suggest they take a carriage to Hyde Park and she would tease him mercilessly before agreeing to walk with him there. Perhaps she would tell him a story of what had happened while she was in London, and he would talk to her about Matilda and everyone back in Abbotshire.

People would wonder who the delightful girl was that the often stoic Earl was walking with, as he had sworn to many that he would never marry again. He would introduce her with pride and they would make polite conversation. Afterwards, Emmeline would say something about the frivolity of the upper classes, and Daniel would laugh in agreement. They would talk of returning to Abbotshire soon, but enjoy the simple moment of being able to walk together.

But that was a fantasy.

He knew he could not go to London. Emmeline was carrying a burden that she had to work through. He would just have to be patient and pray that she would heal and return to the country quickly.

Thankfully, he had things to occupy himself with. It was the first Christmas he and Matilda would spend at Mooreland Park. Despite the sadness he felt, he knew he had to make it special for her. Charles was to stay through Twelfth Night and had thankfully taken over as Matilda's playmate.

Daniel's days were either spent in his study reviewing the plans for the holiday parties he was to host and attend, or out working on various tasks for the estate. So much of his time before had been occupied by getting settled, and then with Matilda and Miss. Somers, that there were things he had neglected as a landlord.

So he would go out and visit his tenants, getting to know them, assisting with any task they needed.

He was grateful for the work. Many asked him about Gideon, most had known him and his wife, and of course Emmeline. They were always happy to share stories about them. Eleanor, Daniel learned, was full of light and energy. She was spoken of as if she were magic. The perfect pairing to Gideon's quiet sincerity.

It made him happy to learn about them. They were a crucial part to Emmeline's life, and he was learning, to the community. Everyone was grieving for Gideon, in their own little way. Daniel was slowly finding a sense of belonging in his childhood home again.

Matilda often asked for stories about the angels and the fairies before bed. She understood that Mr. Gideon had traveled to the fairy realm to be with his fairy queen. So Daniel told her stories every night of their reunion, the stories becoming more detailed as he learned about Eleanor.

She never asked about Miss. Emmy and Daniel never spoke about her. She was not as easy to explain, she was not in the fairy realm. She was still near, only a few days drive. All Daniel could do was pray that Matilda understood that Emmeline did not leave because of her. And when the time was right he would explain why she left.

~

Hi everyone,

Here is the latest update to Daniel and Emmeline's story.

I hope you enjoy.

A new update will be coming soon.