Chapter 43

She had been in Abbotshire for three weeks. Three weeks and no visitations. Mrs. Ellis advised him not to reach out to her. She would return to Mooreland Park when she was ready. Everyone in the household was under strict orders to not inform Matilda that she was back in town. The girl was too young to fully understand Emmeline's grief. 

Daniel was no saint however, and he found himself sending one of the stable hands into town more frequently than he cared to admit. Sometimes he would ask one of the maids to go for ribbon or something for Matilda. They all were polite and would casually mention if they had seen the young apothecary. She was always busy according to their observations. Always running between clients or restocking the shop. They rarely saw her sit down. Sometimes a more bold footman, eager for an extra sixpence, would go into the shop under some pretense of a sprained wrist or trouble sleeping. Daniel was not proud of the actions he took but he could not help but worry about her. She was so close but seemed oceans away.

~

There was so much for Emmeline to do. The shop had been quite neglected and now that she was sole owner there were so many changes she wanted to make. She also had her patients to attend to. Thankfully, the doctor from the neighboring province had assisted during her absence but she was eager to get back to her routine. 

She started the days by rising early, and tending to shop business. She balanced the accounts and made sure everything was in order. She was not going to allow the finances to fall in disarray as her father had. 

The bitter chill of February had meant she was doing more house calls than normal. Every family she went to doted on her and offered her their deepest sympathies. She came to recognize the look they gave her as the grieving look. She wished it would stop. She had seen it before when her mother passed and the look was always more indicative of how people expected her to act than actual sympathy. She did not want to play the grieving girl anymore. Her father had hardly been around the past few years so it was not like their lives were much impacted. Mrs. O'Malley had written four times insisting that she visit for dinner. Emmeline did once and was bombarded with questions and enough baked goods to last a lifetime. 

She was also determined to pay back the debt to the mysterious benefactor. While grateful for the gift, Emmeline wished to belong to no one. She had always prided herself on her ability to fend for herself, particularly in the past few years as her father's illness progressed. She had decided to stick with the plan that she presented to Mr. O'Malley and begin installment payments to the benefactor, once she could figure out who it was. Until then, those funds would go in a separate account and then would be given to the benefactor when they were discovered. If they were never discovered, the money would be used as a fund for her patients that could not pay.

She had narrowed down a list of possibilities, but all seemed completely ridiculous. At night she would review it again and again, her head restless. She found it hard to sleep knowing how much she owed to the mysterious person.  Her whole life she had prided herself of not owing her life to anyone. She had finally found her full independence. She was able to run the shop as she saw fit, able to see patients and treat them in a manner that she desired. She still grieved her father daily, but she had started to enjoy her independence. But now she was indebted to someone else. Someone else had to occupy her thoughts at night. These thoughts did distract her from where she dared not let her mind wander.

When she did sleep, her dreams were fitful. Thoughts she had put out of her mind wandered into her subconscious and often she dreamt of Mooreland Park. In her dreams, she would go to the small table in the kitchen and serve out a small meal. She would wait for him to arrive. It seemed like hours that she would wait, then as soon as she heard his footsteps down the servant staircase, she would wake up in a cold sweat.

 It had been three weeks since her return and she had not stepped foot in Mooreland Park. She had not let Aunt Ellis that she had returned either. She was sure he knew. His footmen had frequented the shop enough that she was sure word had gotten back to him. She would not go to him though. He was her past. She was certain he would eventually move on.  Often in their dinnertime chats he would speak of his desire to find Matilda a mother. The young girl was growing and she needed someone that would teach her how to act in proper society. Lord Hargrave also needed an heir. He was not old by any means, but the longer he waited, the more questions would arise as to why he had not taken a wife.

Emmeline also did not want to get in the way of Lady Margaret, as she had not quite decided if her family was the mysterious benefactor. She was still not certain if Lady Margaret was still planning of making a match out of  Lord Hargrave and Lydia so it was best not disrupt things. The family did not have a lot of money, but they were gentry. Sir Thomas did have a poor habit of making inappropriate comments toward Emmeline if he had too many brandies. It would not do them well to lose their town's medicine woman, especially with all of Lady Margaret's aches and pains. They might have worked out some form of deal for the arrangement to be made.

She was to resume her weekly visits to them on Wednesday. She was so glad to return to some semblance of normalcy. If Emmeline knew one thing, it was that Lady Margaret would not treat her any differently. Despite her cold temperament, there was a level of respect that existed between them. Lydia was in London with her aunt for the season. This reduced the competitive tone she had when Lydia was around. Emmeline was seen more as a companion, rather than a hinderance to Lydia finding a husband. This trip would be strictly business and Emmeline was elated.

~

Hello lovely readers! Another update for you as we reach the end of the story! I have gotten lucky with a few snow days and have had more time to write. I am starting on chapter 44 while I have the time but I don't want to give a date as to when it will be released. I want to make sure I give each piece the space and time it needs.

Until then I do need your help. I am working on figuring out who's story I will tell next.

Here are the choices:

1. Lydia

2. Susanna O'Malley

3. Charles (Daniel's brother)

Let me know who you would like to read about next. I have some ideas for all of them!

Thanks again for all of the love!

-Mary