Chapter 13

Chapter 13~Heart Of inferno

*.*.*.*.*.*.

Darren ran his fingers through his hair in frustration, that hair… some how he got it perfectly tousled without making it look over done or untidy.

Focus you idiot!

“Alright, move over,” he said sitting down next to me, my breath hitched and my heart accelerated at the close proximity, I moved as far as the couch would let me, so fast that it brought on a new wave  of dizziness. He looked over at me, as I moaned and touched my aching head, his eyes softening slightly. I gulped. Those almost caramel colored eyes would be the end of me.

Violet loudly cleared her throat, I had completely forgotten that she was in the room.

“So are you going to explain this to her anytime soon, or should I just leave so you two can continue giving each other the googley eyes?” she sounding annoyed. Darren huffed and leaned over me bumping my knee in the process, I gasped at the contact and shrank back into the couch. He rolled his eyes at me and picked up a pen from beside me.

Right, of course he was just reaching for a pen! What else would he be doing?

My thoughts were interrupted when he unexpectedly grabbed my hand and started drawing something on my palm

“Uh what are you doing?” I mumbled, attempting to tug away my arm, his grip tightened.

“Explaining, from the beginning.”  As he spoke he let go of my arm, I glanced at my palm. Instantly a rush of memories came flooding back and I felt like the wind had been completely knocked out of me, the star.

“Is she okay? She look like she’s going to faint!” Violet exclaimed, getting up from where she was leaning against the wall. I felt Darren touch my shoulder, and couple of giant mutated butterflies fluttered around in my stomach simultaneously.

“Hey ,Kitty, are you alright? You’re looking a bit pale…” he asked gently

I swatted his hand away and hissed, “I told you not to call me that!”. His grin was instantaneous

“She’s fine.” He called out to Violet still grinning.

“So then what’s the problem?” he asked, I took a deep breath.

“It’s just… well I’ve seen this star before,” I paused noticing the look of concern both Violet and Darren shared, “But only in a dream, actually it was more of a nightmare but everything I saw in there seems to be surfacing, and I have no idea how that’s even possible! Well actually this whole thing shouldn’t be possible!” I stopped out of breath after my little rant, I don’t even know why I was sharing this information with them. Perhaps that smoke I had inhaled also acted as some ludicrous truth serum.

“Gosh try thinking a little! Was it really a nightmare, or a vision?” Violet spoke using a haughty tone of voice, a voice that implied that she knew more than she was letting on.

“Vision? What on earth are you going on about?” I asked baffled, what was this lunatic talking about? I looked at Darren for an explanation. He ran his fingers through his hair yet again.

“Can you just give a chance to try and explain before you start will the questioning? Yeah? Good well the star I’ve drawn on your palm is called a pentagram. Each point of it represents one of the five elements: Earth , Air, Fire, Water and Spirit. The way I understand it is, a long time ago—“

“Really? A bedtime story?” I interrupted, this was so totally a big load of bull—

“Don’t ever interrupt me again, Kitty!” he growled adding in ‘Kitty’ as an afterthought with a smirk.

“Like I was saying a long time ago, word spread of vicious creatures that had appeared out of the shadows, some said that they came from the great beyond, others said they had come from the fiery depths of Hell itself, but they all agreed that never had they ever seen anything so devastatingly horrid, for they stole the souls of their victims, growing in power which each intake. A coven of witches was sought out  by a group of villagers to attempt to put an end to this havoc , together  the witches agreed and cast a spell on the villagers giving each pair the power of an element, and the pentagram was created, it stands for balance and peace and together they conquered what we call the Deyarina. Although, there was one glitch in the spell, once one of us dies, their partner will die soon after, therefore creating an unbalance and creating chaos, depending on the circumstances in which they die, the severity of the disaster .”

“Wait so what are you trying to say? What ‘Disaster’?” I asked, okay I know I said I thought this was utter crap, but I have nothing better to do and his voice is just so captivating , so might as well humor him. Violet was the one who answered my question though.

“Ever hear about those freak natural disasters, on the news? That’s what happens when one of us die, the more unnatural the death, the more severe the outcome.”

“Exactly and that is why we are extremely hard to kill …and why we have familiars—“I cut Darren off to ask what the hell was a ‘familiar’, of course he then snapped at me to quit interrupting, geeze and I thought I had issues.

“Violet if you don’t mind…” he turned to Violet who was still slouching against the wall. She sighed as if he had just told her that she’d be scooping up horse manure for the next week or so. She then lazily brought her hand up to her mouth and whispered something into her palm, our eyes met and she smiled mischievously , she opened her palm out straight, still keeping eye contact with me all the while, and… appeared to blow me a kiss and a slight shimmer of glittery dust wafted into the air.

I waited a few seconds for something to happen…

“Well that was just lame.” I stated condescendingly

Darren huffed, “You’re just not looking closely enough.”

I squinted at Violet and surely enough the air in front of her was quivering more violently by the second. It was now starting to look like the outline of some kind of dog, I looked up at Violet in shock. She met my gaze with a smirk. Suddenly there was a ferocious growl and the creature came hurtling at me growing clearer by the second. Bright steel grey eyes, grey and white fur, and an astonishing set of razor sharp teeth which were bared and coming straight for my jugular .