Kabanata 9

Kabanata 9

Tracy

I stared at the plate of food in front of me while I contemplate about the only options I have. Sinusubukan kong mag-isip pa ng ibang paraan para maisalba si Rouge, ngunit kahit na ano'ng gawin ko, I still end up going down the narrow road where Levi expects me to be.

Humugot ako ng malalim na hininga't sinubukang tingnan ang katulong na nagsasalin ng tsaa para sa akin. "Salamat po."

The old lady simply nodded before she exited the large dining room. Nang maiwan akong mag-isa ay sumandal ako sa back rest ng silya.

Levi gave me until today to decide whether to accept his offer not not. Either I will let Rouge die or I'll leave him for Levi to save his life. 

Hindi ko siya kayang iwanan para sa ibang lalake, pero mas hindi ko kayang hayaan lamang siyang mamatay kahit na mayroon akong kakayahang isalba ang buhay niya.

I wiped the tears that started to build up in the corners of my eyes when the elderly lady returned with a familiar woman.

Napaayos ako ng upo nang ngitian ako ni Mrs. Barrimore. She's wearing a white coat this time. Tila iyong isinusuot ng mga doktor.

"How are you feeling, dear?" she asked in her sweet voice after she occupied the seat next to me. 

"O-Okay lang po," I lied.

Lumamlam ang mga mata niya. "You're not." She caressed my arm. "I know it's hard for you to decide but Levi was right. He's the only one who can help you. Not because we don't want to heal your boyfriend but because of . . . something else."

Nilunok ko ang bara sa aking lalamunan. "Dahil ho ba dating kasapi sa grupo ni Levi ang nakakagat sa boyfriend ko?"

She breathed in a sharp breath as she looked away. "No, dear. I'm afraid I cannot tell you what I know, but if I were in your shoes, I'd choose to stay with Levi. This is, after all, your real home."

Basag akong ngumiti. "With all due respect, Mrs. Barrimore, but my home is somewhere outside this place. The inner district isn't for normal people like me."

Her lips curved for a motherly smile. "What's your definition of normal people?"

Sandali akong natigilan. "I didn't mean to offend you or something, Mrs. Barrimore."

"No, no. I am just asking you a question."

I sighed. "What I meant about normal people is . . . those who are not monsters." I lowered my head. "I'm sorry."

She smiled. "The people of the inner district of Remorse, especially the Alphas, do not give in to their savage nature out of nothing. Levi is a compassionate leader just like his father. He makes sure the humans in his city can walk in the streets at night without the fear of being eaten by our kind. We may be beasts, but we're not monsters. The real monsters are the ones who hurt others to satisfy themselves. Mapanormal na tao man iyan o tulad namin."

I pursed my lips. Tama naman siya. Maybe I just delivered my words incorrectly, or maybe I said that because my mind was programmed to fear the inner district. 

Mrs. Barrimore crossed her legs in a sophisticated way. "I came to visit your boyfriend. You were right. He was bitten by an Omega and he needs Levi's bite to save his life. He's in a pretty bad shape. I doubt that he'd still last a day or two."

Tila sinaksak ng punyal ang dibdib ko dahil sa narinig. "Diyos ko . . ."

She inhaled a sharp breath. "I didn't come here to convince you. Levi didn't even know that I went here to talk to you. He was at our home last night to seek our advice because this is also hard for him. Hindi si Levi ang tipo ng taong ipagpipilitan ang bagay na ayaw mo."