THIRTY TWO

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO | STRAWBERRIES

Naomi smiled sadly, she placed her chin on top of Peter's head, hearing his light snores. The boy had fallen asleep a long time ago but she was still awake, she didn't regret coming back, not at all. Peter was there for her, so she will be there for him as well, yet she could not seem to catch sleep.

She needs answers, and she needs them now.

She let her fingers brush through his hair a couple of times. It then seemed like the roles were reversed because she was the one who kissed his forehead this time, Naomi sighed and started untangling him from her.

A soft groan left Peter's lips as she crawled out of his grasp, she carefully grabbed a pillow and placed it in his arms, on the spot she was previously laying.

The brunette had a troubled expression on her face as she looked at him. She didn't know what to do at the moment, she still cares about him, she cares so much. But how could she forgive him without forgiving her father?

She knew how much scars it left on a person and she never wishes this fate upon anybody, not even the Dark One. She sighed, a sad smile on her lips before she turned around, knowing that she would probably not return to the treehouse in a while.

Naomi opened the door and stepped outside, slowly closing the door behind her and cursing under her breath when it made a creaking noise. She sighed in defeat when the door was finally closed and climbed down the ladder.

It was early in the morning, the sun wasn't up yet but the torches that were tied to the trees lighted the way for her. She had time, it would be at least another two or three hours before the boys woke up.

With her sword unsheathed, she walked through the forest. She feels obligated to keep her weapon close to her at all times, especially with the game the shadow was playing with her and, it also comes in very handy when she needs to cut down a few branches or a couple of large leaves.

A few strands of her hair fell onto her face when she stepped into the clearing. She looked up and nodded to herself before walking towards a tree that she could use to climb in. She climbed up, branch by branch, making sure not to grab the ones that looked like they could break any second.

After a while, Naomi was finally face to face with the hanging cage. She reached out a hand and gave it a slight push, the brown haired boy inside it flinched awake and looked around in fear, calming down slightly when he saw that it was Naomi.

"What are you doing here?" Baelfire spat, trying to hide the fear and tiredness he felt by acting angry.

The brunette rolled her eyes, "Calm down, Grouch. I'm not here to hurt you, I just need answers."