I Still Have Your Shirt In My Dresser Drawer

The longer Michael was away, the harder it was for Luke. Everyone says that it gets better and easier with time, but it doesn't. Anyone who says that is a liar. At least, that's what Luke thinks. He's absolutely miserable without Michael.

And yeah, maybe the blond does lean on his boyfriend too much, but he can't always help it. Michael has helped him through so many times that now he doesn't really know how to handle tough times without him. Luke knew that he would have to figure it out. It wasn't good for him to hang off of Michael like that, and he didn't want to get in the way of the bleach blond's career, either.

Letting out a sigh, Luke sat up in his bed and ruffled his hair. He picked up his phone to look at the time and then let out a small nod. The music room should be open with no class in it by now.

With the thought on his mind, Luke got up and went over to his dresser. Going to the music room always helped, no matter how he was feeling. Sometimes he would just randomly mess around on one of the guitars or the piano, but other times he would work on songs, some of which he came up with while messing around.

Luke stopped suddenly, his eyes brushing the familiar white and black striped shirt. Michael had bought this shirt for him when they were out at the mall together.  Michael had insisted that Luke would look good in it, even without having him try it on. (A/N: I don't usually interrupt with an author's note, but you right, Michael. You right, boy.)

Luke had been trying to avoid remnants of Michael while he was away, but in that moment the decided he was going to wear that shirt. He threw off his oversized gray sweater and swapped it for the striped shirt. A smile fell across the blond's lips as the shirt fell across his shoulders and stomach. It enveloped him in warmth even though it had been stored in his dresser drawer for a couple months.

It was then that Luke decided having a part/memory of Michael with him was better than not having one at all. 

Sliding on a pair of black skinny jeans and slipping on his shoes, Luke picked up one of his hoodies along with his phone, keys, and notebook (with a pen.) He hummed a small tune as he exited his room and headed towards the front of the house.

"I'm headed over to the music room!" Luke shouted out as he threw on his hoodie and opened the door to the apartment. He knew that either Ashton or Calum would have been home by now.

"Alright!" Ashton shouted back in reply. He was a bit surprised that Luke was willingly going out by himself, especially seeing as how he's been quite down lately, but the hazel eyed boy wasn't going to question anything. If Luke wanted to go out and do something, Ashton wasn't going to stop it.

//

Luke followed the paved path up to the Arts building, letting the door close behind him as he brought his cupped hands up to his mouth and breathed out into them. The snow may have been melting, but the wind still made it feel pretty cold outside. 

Rubbing his hands together to warm them up a bit more, the blond made his way to one of the empty practice rooms, smiling once he entered the room. He immediately took off his sweatshirt and draped it over one of the chairs, taking out the small notebook and pen and walking over to the piano. He tended to lean towards the piano when he was feeling something heartfelt, for whatever reason.

Luke warmed up with a cover before he began to mess around, not really having a plan or song in mind. But then he played a couple of notes, and he immediately liked the sound of it. He went along with it and continued a pattern, not being able to help but fall in love with it. 

It was simple, but Luke still really liked the sound of it. Even without lyrics, it already sounded really heartfelt and held a lot of emotion.

Now to make up lyrics to go with it...

Luke's eyes traveled down to his shirt, and then back to when he found the shirt in his dresser.

'I still have your shirt in my dresser drawer // The one with the stripes that you liked in store'

He scrawled the words out into his notebook, a grin forming on his face. He didn't think that these lines would begin the song, but they had a nice ring to them and they went along with the music nicely.

'Everything has changed, I wanted more'

Luke made a small sound in the back of his throat, pressing his tongue to the back of his teeth as he thought. There were only a few lines written down so far, but he was extremely excited with what he had. 

'Oh how it's raining // Oh how the water falls // Into the safe things // We tried to set in stone // I can't replace you // I can't escape you now'

Luke saw the rain as Michael's dream, as crazy as that sounded. Of course, he wanted Michael to live his dream, but in a way, it had ripped his safety (Michael) away from him. The bleach blond was also busy with his album and getting everything together, though, so that was why they were limited to night time calls and texts during the day. Things would calm down, and Michael would return to him.

'But I remember the nights when you'd lie with me // Where we'd talk and we'd touch and we'd fall asleep // I wake up in your arms and I'd feel at ease'

Luke missed being able to fall asleep in Michael's arms, his head pressed against his boyfriend's chest. Those pair of arms brought the blue-eyed boy so much comfort.

'But now it's just me and I lie awake // And I toss and I turn and I see your face // When I wake from a dream it won't go away'

Luke fell asleep with his head against the piano, the thoughts of the song and Michael running through his head.

---

Chapter titles, more like Fall Out Boy song titles.

It took awhile, but hey I finally updated. Sorry for the wait.

But hey, how's everyone doing?

How did you like the chapter?

I hope you all have a good night/day. (I know I'm posting it late, in my time zone anyway, but hopefully that's okay.)