I Just Can't Stop Thinking About You

The days immediately following Michael's departure were extremely hard for Luke. He was so used to having his rock, his life source there, and now he was just... Gone. Michael was on the other side of the country, and sure they talked, but talking to him over the phone just didn't seem to be enough. Not even Calum nor Ashton, Luke and Michael's good friends, seemed to be able to get the blond out of his slump.

All Luke wanted to do was lay in his bed and block out the world. He still talked to Michael, of course he did, but that was about all he did. Other than that he stayed in bed, shades closed, hair and clothes a mess, and tear stains running down his cheeks. It had been a few days since he had showered, but both Calum and Ashton were nice enough to not say anything when they came over to check on the small boy.

Eventually the two friends had had enough, though. They just couldn't stand to see Luke like this, so they told Michael what had been going on. Luke had been putting the act up that he was fine when he talked with his boyfriend, so Michael was a bit surprised when he was told how the blond was taking everything. Somewhere, though, in a small part of his brain, he suspected that it would happen. He didn't want to believe it, but there had been a churning feeling in his stomach when he had left that made him think that it would happen.

Luke liked to pretend he was okay. He liked to pretend he was okay even though sometimes it was painstakingly obvious that he wasn't. The blond always worried about being a bother to others, no matter how many times Michael, Calum, or Ashton reassured him that he wasn't bothering them.

Michael was Luke's rock. He was his light. He was everything good in this world and helped keep all the negative thoughts away. And talking with Michael on the phone just didn't seem to do Luke justice. Luke seemed to need his boyfriend there with him physically. Sadly, Michael couldn't provide that right now. Michael would try and be there every way possible and the moment. He would do absolutely anything for Luke, and he knew he had to help Luke out of his rut before he dug too far down and wasn't able to get out.

//

It was a Friday, which meant it was one of their video call days. The thought brought a smile to Luke's face. Even if Luke was in his worst mood, talking to Michael made him feel better, even if it was just for the duration of their interaction.

Because Michael would be seeing his face today, Luke decided to clean up a bit. He brushed through his hair and decided to put on a clean shirt before settling down against the head of the bed and brought his phone into his lap. It was only a few seconds later that Luke's phone lit up saying that Michael was video calling him.

"Hey there, love," Michael greeted, a bright grin on his face. He was going to talk to Luke about the blond had been feeling, but he wasn't gonna berate the boy, nor was he going to start off with that and have no greeting.

"Hi, Mikey," Luke replied, curling himself into his blankets. There was a light sparkle in his eyes as he watched his boyfriend shift around slightly, a small smile on his face. Maybe that was why Michael didn't realize how sad Luke was, because he always brightened up when talking to Michael.

"How are you doing, baby?" Michael questioned softly.

"I'm doing alright, I guess," Luke said with a shrug, a slight dullness taking over his eyes.

"Luke, you know you don't have to lie to me, right?"

"I know..."

"Luke... Ash and Calum told me what was going on. About how you're feeling."

"Oh." Luke's face seemed to fall at Michael's confession.

"Luke, baby. It's okay to feel like that. It's very valid to have the feelings that you have right now. Being away from each other is a tough thing. It's a hard thing for me, so I know that it's undoubtedly hard for you too.

"I want you to know that you don't have to hide anything from me, okay? I'm here for you, Luke, and I don't want you to feel like you have to hide certain things from me. I want you to feel comfortable expressing your opinions and yourself around me.

"Of course if there's something you're not ready to talk about yet, don't feel forced to. I'm not gonna force you into telling me anything, but I just want you to know that I am here for you, Luke, and I always will be. I love you, Luke. So much."

By now there were tears pooling in Luke's blue eyes because of Michael's sweet words. Michael had never tried to force Luke into anything, and he let Luke know that he was there, and that he would wait until Luke was ready.

Luke really couldn't have asked for a better boyfriend. Michael did everything in his power go be there for Luke and help him through whatever rough thing he was doing. Michael provided a lot of good moments, too.

It might not be the best thing to say that one person was the reason for your happiness, but, well, Michael kind of was that person for Luke. Of course Luke was happy and had good moments without Michael by his side, but Michael was someone he could go to at absolutely any time, and feel better within a few times at most.

Sometimes the happiness wouldn't last, but that was usually when Luke's depression was bothering him. And even then, Michael was able to help out more than he knew, sometimes.

"I love you, Mikey. So, so much. Thank you, Michael, really." Luke responded once he was able to control the tears that were rolling down his cheeks. Although there were tear stains on his cheeks, there was a smile upon his lips and a happy glint in his eyes.

"Of course, my love." There was a smile upon Michael's face, as well, and for awhile the two just looked at each other in silence.

After a few moments there was a sound on Michael's side, and a small frown appeared on his lips. "I'm sorry, I've gotta go now, lovely."

"It's okay," Luke reassured, and this time he meant it. Talking with Michael had helped him out, and he was feeling genuinely happy right now.

"I had a good time talking to you, Mikey."

"I had a good time talking to you too, Luke. I love you."

"I love you too."

But just in case, Michael made sure to send Luke a positive and encouraging message every morning, followed by an 'I love you' and a couple heart emojis.

---
I wrote the second half of this at like 1:30 in the morning while listening to the B Sides/ Rarities that 5SOS put out at midnight.

Wow, five years. Can you believe that? I am so so proud of the boys and I just know that they are going to continue to out out amazing songs/albums and accomplish great things.