You Were Crying at the Airport, When They Finally Closed the Plane Door

Luke's hands clutched to Michael's jacket tightly, arms wrapped tightly around the older boy as if this would be the last time they ever saw each other. His head was buried into his boyfriend's neck and silent tears were streaming down his face. "I don't want you to go..." The boy whimpered out, hot breath fanning across Michael's neck.

"I know, baby. I know," Michael murmured in reply. He had a much more gentle hold on his boyfriend as one of his hands traced soothing circles into Luke's back, while the other gently played with his blond hair.

"I don't want to leave you either, but this could be my big break, Lukey. Just think about it: two more years, and you'll be done with school. And I'll be making history- like I'm meant to do."

"That's a long time," Luke mumbled, pulling his head back so that he could look at Michael.

"Yeah but you watch, it'll fly right by," Michael said softly, bringing his hands up and gently cupping his boyfriend's face. The pads of his thumbs rubbed over the smooth skin of his cheeks, a sad smile on his face.

"I'll text you every day, alright? And we can FaceTime three to five days a week."

"Not every day?"

"We both know that's unrealistic, baby. We can start off with doing it every day, but if things start getting busy I don't know if I'll be able to. I will definitely keep you updated with at least texts, though. And I'll include some selfies- just for you." Michael's arms wrapped around Luke once again, pulling him close and savoring the moment while he had it. Both boys were dreading the moment where Michael's flight number would be called.

But just as soon as the beautiful moment was formed, it was broken and ripped from their grasp. The first call for Michael's flight was announced, making the smaller boy let out a whine.

"I've still got a few minutes, love," Michael murmured into Luke's blond hair. He was rubbing at his boyfriend's back, who had begun to silently cry and had wrapped his arms tightly around the taller boy. This was the exact moment that Luke had been dreading. He wasn't ready to say goodbye to Michael. He wouldn't ever be ready to say goodbye. Michael had helped Luke get through so much, and the blond wasn't sure how he would be able to deal without his lifeboat.

For the next few minutes, the couple clung to each other, not making a sound. No words needed to be spoken between the two in that moment, and perhaps, there weren't any words to say. They heard the second announcement pass over the speakers, and then finally the third. Instinctively Luke tightened his grip around his boyfriend, quiet sobs escaping his lips.

"I've got to go now, love," Michael spoke gently, in an attempt to not hurt the boy any further. Lightly pulling away, Michael could see the tears pooling in Luke's blue eyes, and soon enough they were spilling over and down his soft cheeks. He hated seeing Luke like this. His boy was too beautiful to cry, and he hated that he was putting Luke through all of this.

"You're going to be okay." The elder boy ran his fingers through his boyfriend's blond locks, trying to provide him the comfort he could in their small amount of time left. "I love you with all my heart, alright? I promise to text you every day, and I will try my very best to FaceTime or call you as often as I can."

Michael placed a kiss on Luke's forehead, brushing away the tears from the younger's cheeks. "I'm sure I'll be able to get some breaks too, alright? And I'll make sure to use those breaks to come and visit you. Try not to worry your pretty little head, you're too beautiful to cry." Michael rubbed the top of his boyfriend's head with his knuckles, causing a broken chuckle to erupt from the blond's lips.

"O-okay," Luke whispered out, sniffling and wiping away some more years that had fell down his cheeks, "I'll try."

"That's my boy," Michael said, a soft smile gracing his red lips. He leaned forward and brought Luke in for one last hug. "I love you, more than words can explain. I could try writing a song about my love for you, but I honestly don't know if I would be able to get the feeling across as much as I would want to."

"I'm sure you'd be able to," Luke told him with a small chuckle, the faintest of a smile gracing his lips, "you have a way with words."

"Thank you, baby. That means a lot to me." Their lips met in a soft and intimate kiss before they both pulled away, a sad look on each of their faces.

"I'll make sure to be back my Christmas, okay?" Michael brushed the pad of his thumb across Luke's cheek and cupping the boy's face I'm his hands. He pulled Luke's face forward, initiating another kiss before having to pull away and pick up his bags.

"I love you, Luke. So so much." The blond only nodded in response, afraid that if he spoke then he would break down and start crying again. Michael didn't mind, though, for he knew that Luke meant it back. Luke showed it in more ways than one, and Michael knew that words must be hard for him to find right now.

Blowing a kiss towards his boyfriend's direction and turning around. He took one step. A step that brought him a little closer to dream, and a little further away from the love of his life.

Luke watched until Michael's figure disappeared into the crowd and then turned towards the window. He watched as his boyfriend climbed up the steps and onto the plane, but what he didn't see was the silent tears slipping down the older boy's face.

And Luke knew he said he would try not to worry and not to cry, but if tears began to fall down his cheeks when the plane door closed, Michael didn't have to know.

--

Nothing like starting off a story with an emotional departure, am I right?

Well, here's the official welcome to Hey There Luke. I just barely started it, but I think I can I can call this my favorite story right now. I'll probably try and make chapters about 1,000 words each.

I think that's about it for now, though.

Any questions or comments about the book so far?