Chapter 4

Chapter 4

*recap:*

“So, what’s up?”

---

I just put my face in my hands. I did the same when I told Kyryn these things. I still didn’t know where to start.

“I’ve only ever told one person these things… This is kind of hard for me.” I said, being honest.

“Why don’t you just ask me what you want to know?” I continued.

“Alright… Who do you live with?” He questioned.

“Alone, with my mother.”

“How does she treat you?”

I sighed. “Do you really want me to tell you? It’s depressing.”

He nodded slowly. I turned towards him, but not exactly looking at him.

“Well, first of all, if you’re wondering why my dad isn’t there, it’s because he left us when I was 11. I’m almost 15 now and haven’t heard from him since. But about how she treats me… Like a piece of shit.”

“How so?” He asked.

I pointed to my cheek.

“What exactly does she do to you? I noticed you haven’t been moving your arm…”

“I was talking on the phone with Kyryn and my mom hates it when I do it without her supervision. So she came up to my room, but she was really drunk and fell over just outside my door, smashing a bottle to pieces and falling on the floor for a minute or so. I hid in my closet for safety when she got up. But when she got up, she went into my room and pulled me out of my closet by my arm and I fell forward. It hurt my arm and my wrist has been numb since… then she slapped me across the face… That’s why this red mark is on my cheek right now…” I explained with my voice starting to shake.

Cody was still listening. He moved closer to me. I took a deep breath and continued.

“So I pretended that it knocked me out since I hit the back of my head on my wall. Then she left my room but tripped over the shards of her bottle. She was knocked out, so I left. I walked for about an hour up the road and bumped into you…” I said, almost crying. I looked down at the floor again, and buried my face into my hands, now crying.

Cody got up off the couch. He turned to me, took my hands and stood me up. He looked at me and pulled me into a tight hug around my waist. I buried my face in his neck and silently cried.

Cody was rubbing my back. I felt comforted for once in my life. Not alone… I liked this feeling.

I calmed down a bit. He continued to hug me while laying his head on mine. I suddenly heard someone coming down the stairs.

“Ooo! Who’s this, Cody?” The girl said.

I released myself from Cody’s hug and looked over at her.

“Oh, um, Alli, this is Gabriella. Gab, this is Alli, my sister.” Cody said. I couldn’t help but smile, as he was already calling me Gab.

We shook hands and gave me a look, similar to the one Cody gave me when he was scanning me.

“Hey! You’re Gabriella Fontayne, the girl who lives in the old white house!” She said.

“Yup… That’s me!” I tried to sound happy about it. Thankfully, I’m a good actress.

“Do you mind if I talk to Cody alone for a minute? I’ll take him into the kitchen.” Alli asked

“No, go ahead!” I replied.

They both left the room. I just sat back on the coach and examined my bruises.

*CODY’S POV*

“CODY! You finally got a hold of her and didn’t tell me!” Alli said quietly.

“Sorry! I just bumped into her while taking a walk a half hour ago!” I told her.

“Did she tell you anything? Like about those noises coming from her house? And what’s with that mark on her face!?” She asked.

I told Alli what Gab explained to me, about what happened today.

“Does that kind of stuff happen on a regular basis?” Alli asked.

“I didn’t ask her a lot. That’s really all she told me. But I assume so; she has a lot of bruises and stuff…” I said.

“I mean, I don’t want to be nosy or anything, but I’d like to know so we can help her.” Alli said, concerned.

“That’s what I said. But she seems willing to talk about it.”

“Well, why don’t we go in and maybe get some more out of her…” Alli suggested.

“Good idea. I’d like to know why she has cut-like scrapes on her arm. They don’t look like they’re from a knife...” I said.

*GAB’S POV*

Cody and Alli returned from the kitchen and sat down on either side of me. Cody took my left arm and lined my largest (of many) cuts with his finger. He just looked at me.

“My mom.” I said.

“So you didn’t do it?” Alli asked.

“No… Every time my mom knows or thinks I do something bad, she takes a nail and…” I stopped, my voice getting shaky again.