Chapter 2

Ashley was waving his hand in my face. He had just rescued me from a rapist and I was still in shock. "Hey! I asked are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

I was finally able to speak, "Um," then I looked at myself and realized that I had a long cut on my shoulder and scrapes on my arms. "Well, a little bit. My shoulder hurts some." My voice was really quiet and shaky, so I was surprised that Ashley even heard me. But he nodded and touched my arm. I flinched as he turned me a little to see my shoulder.

"You might need stitches. Can you walk?" Slowly, I nodded and shakily got to my feet. I had to lean on Ashley for support. "I'm walking you home. How far is it?" Ashley said.

"Um, uh. It's about twenty minutes away. That way," I said in a shaky voice, pointing. I stopped leaning on Ashley once I felt strong enough. But he kept one hand on my arm, though, I guess to keep me from falling on my ass.

"Can I ask your name?" Ashley asked. "You may," I replied. I was feeling good enough to joke a little bit. "So, what's your name?"

"Krishana. And thanks for saving me. I don't think I said yet. So, yeah. Thanks." Ashley said, "Krishana, that's an unusual name - but I like it!" I made an small noise to show that I heard him. This walk was taking too long. I was really tired and scared now that it was sinking in that I had nearly been raped. 

We reached my street after a few more minutes, and then my house in another minute. I frowned in confusion when I saw that all the lights in the house were on. It was about midnight. "Is that your house?" Ashley asked. I nodded. I'm not sure why I wasn't really talking to him much. I hope he didn't think I was rude.

He walked me to my door and said, "Well, we're here. Are you going to be okay?" He asked, worry written all over his face. I nodded. "And you should see a doctor about your shoulder soon. I think it needs stitches," he added.

"You already said that. But thanks again for saving me. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if you hadn't come along. So - " I was interrupted when my door flew open and my drunk father shouted, "WHY ARE YOU HOME SO LATE, BITCH!?!" I flinched when he grabbed my arm and yanked me away from Ashley.

"I-I was at work. I-I g-got out l-late. Then I was attacked and almost r-raped. If he hadn't s-showed up in time, I m-might be d-dead!" I gestured at Ashley. My father snarled at me and said, "I wish that freak would have left you for dead! You're a worthless piece of shit!" He threw me across the yard and I landed on my hurt shoulder with a cry of pain. Instantly, Ashley was standing in front of me, blocking my father from getting to me.

"GET OUT OF MY WAY, EMO FREAK!!!!!" Dad screamed. Then he tried to force his way past Ashley. That was a mistake. Ashley punched him in the gut and he doubled over, swearing a blue streak. I got to my feet and ran/stumbled over to them.

"Ashley, stop! Don't hurt him, please! He's drunk, he doesn't know what he's doing!" I was crying as I pleaded with him. But my father was already getting back up. He ran to throw a punch at Ashley, but I got in his way. His fist connected with the side of my head and I collapsed.

The last things I saw were Ashley knocking my father out with a swift uppercut and him walking toward me, apologizing. I passed out as he gathered me into his arms and started walking.

Then everything went black.