Chapter Three.

"If it isn't the maddest group of all, the tea twits." Again it growls but this time the voice is tainted with distaste. The cracking sounds get closer to woods edge, any moment now whatever it is will be in sight. With snaps and crackles a large caterpillar lumbers into the clearing. I feel the hair on the back of my neck rise as Chesh vanishes. Standing quickly I step backwards and straight into the Hatters chest. One of his arms wraps around my shoulders, the other beckons the twins over.

In an instant both of my hands are in bruising grips making me wince but keep quiet, this all feels familiar.

"Why didn’t anyone tell me Alice was back?” It cries out moving into view. It is not a terrible monster like I thought but a giant caterpillar. Its body is sky blue with green diamonds creating a delicate pattern along its back.

"What is that?" I ask softly to no one in particular, silence is my only answer.

"Oh, it's only you."Hatter say with disdain" Are you trying to frighten her?”

“She knows me-“It begins before Hatter cuts him off coldly. I never noticed the spicy scent that clings to him. I never noticed? I’ve only been here for an hour or two, how strange I should find myself feeling as though I’ve been here for a while.

“She knows no one. The seal hasn’t been broken yet; her memories of you and everyone else are still buried deep beneath magic. “

As I wonder what memories I’m missing the beast heaves a sigh before a great cloud of blue smoke covers the area. A tall figure steps from it, the caterpillar is gone, replaced by a young man my age or perhaps a few years older than I. His hair seems darker than the night against his pale skin and I do find myself unconsciously stepping out of Hatters arms and closer to him.

"Hatter you should allow her to finish her tea before it gets cold. I think I’ll join you as well." He appears next to me and pulls out my seat like a gentleman; I smile cautiously before sitting; not quite sure what’s going on. Everyone else reseats themselves but now the air is tense and slightly uncomfortable.

"No doubt you’re wondering who I am?” He says to me while staring at the stream of amber liquid going from the pots spout to his tea cup. I sit up straighter and tab his shoulder, when people speak to me I prefer to be looked in the eye, and I tell him so.

“If you’re speaking to me please look me in the face. And to answer your question, I am wondering who you are.” I tell him firmly trying not to breath in a breath of shock when his dark eyes meet my grey ones. Inside my stomach I can feel butterflies fluttering and the sensation of something else fluttering there not long ago. Confused I set a hand on my stomach trying to recall what it is I’m missing.

     Setting that mystery aside I notice everyone is staring at my hand. I quickly move it to hold my cup, taking a sip of my tea before motioning for him to continue.

“My name is Caleb.” He tells me before setting the teapot down to run a hand through his already tousled hair” We’re m-“

“Caleb you know she has to remember on her own!” Hatter says slamming his hand down on the table, effectively spilling tea and cutting Caleb off.