Chapter 3

Ruby unhooked her cloak and threw it over her shoulder. The summer heat was too much for someone her size to take. Though the girl felt like passing out, she hammered on through the powerful heat.

She didn’t know where she was, but she was far away from her home now. It confused her, she was only just out the front gate a moment ago, but now she was somewhere completely different...unfamiliar.

It confused Ruby because she had walked through Hogsmeade and around the school with her mother, but now...now it was all different.

She knew for a fact she had never set foot in this place before, but she had no idea how she had gotten there so fast.

Ruby slumped down in the gutter and looked around. For starters, she had no idea where she was. Secondly, a group of people heading her direction. On a closer look, they appeared to be four scrubby girls.

“Hey, are you alright?” one of them asked.

Ruby didn’t speak, and the girls exchanged awkward looks, before one of them burst into a smile.

“Mind if I sit?” the smiling girl said sweetly. Ruby shrugged, but wouldn’t meet her eye. “YAY!”

She sat herself down, with several shopping bags. The other three followed, forming a circle, and opened a packet of mnms. Ruby observed the girls, two appeared to be substantially older than her, but the other two seemed to be around her age.

“Would you like one?” they offered Ruby.

Ruby didn’t accept, and sat there awkwardly.

“So, what’s your name?” One of the girls asked.

“Ruby.” She mumbled.

“I’m Lillie.” The girl with the chocolates said. Her light brown hair was messed around her face as though she’d just run against the wind, she had almond shaped green eyes, and pale pink lips; there was a large scar across her right cheek, but freckles threatened to conceal it from view. “Nice to meet ya love.” She spoke in a funny voice, before stuffing her mouth with chocolate.

“I’m Kellie.” The girl directly opposite Ruby smiled. She had dark messy hair, beautiful brown eyes and deep tanned skin. Her nose was small, giving her face an overall cute look. “Lillie’s twin.” Ruby looked from one girl to the other in confusion. They didn’t look alike at all. “I like llamas. Did you know?” and Kellie, like her sister, shoved a handful of chocolate in her mouth.

Ruby simply started at the girls, unsure of what to think.

“Fraternal.” Another girl explained, rolling her eyes. She had long golden blonde hair, which was tied back with a big blue ribbon, big blue eyes, clear pale skin, and a gorgeous smile. “I’m Mia and that’s Jia.”

Jia had the longest messiest hair Ruby had ever seen. She had tanned skin with deep brown eyes and a sly smile.

Ruby continued to remain silent.

“Our names rhyme.” Kellie said proudly, into the silence.

“You’re not from around here are you?” Jia said knowingly.

“Umm, where is here?” Ruby said awkwardly.

“We are in Cardiff.” Mia answered instantly. Ruby blinked. “Near London?”

“But we’re not from Cardiff.” Kellie said. “We just sort of ended up here. Our accents are different, can’t you tell?”

“You’re running from something.” Lillie said suddenly.