New face, New home

Chapter Two

Finally, after hours on that damned plane we finally arrived at an airport near McMinnville. And as soon as I walked out of that plane, I was blasted with a wave of freezing air.

"Jesus Christ! It's fucking cold!" I swore, rubbing my arms frantically. How the hell was Oregon so cold when California was so warm? Bullshit!

I heard a light chuckle from behind me and I turned sharply to see a tall man with sandy blonde hair with glowing green eyes standing near me. Automatically feeling creeped out, I leaned away. I could feel Alana growing anxious of this stranger. He was obviously a werewolf. He watched me so intently, a gentle smile playing on his lips as he bowed with a flourish.

"M'lady, I humbly welcome you to McMinnville." He said with a grin, using some fake British accent. Was this guy a butler or something? What was his deal?

"Rick stop it." Came my mom's giggle. Watching the man who I now realized was Rick, my mom's new mate, straighten up and give my mom a childish grin. I rolled my eyes at the sight. It seemed as if my new step-dad was a complete dumbass. Joy.

"Oh Clara, I just wanted to make a good impression." He said with a small chuckle. My frown then turned into a deep scowl. This idiot didn't know me whatsoever, and he was trying to win me over in the first five minutes? Um, no. I don't think so. But I couldn't tell my mom that, she'd just make some excuse. So I gave him a sickly sweet smile, tilting my head and feigning innocence.

"I think you're wonderful." I said with a purr in my voice, turning to my mother. She looked ecstatic that I was even speaking to him. My innocent smile turned into an impish grin.

"I've got to say mother, he's quite a catch. Where'd you find him anyway, 'Manwhores R Us?' I mean, it sure looks like it." I finished, my face screwed up in disgust as I regarded him. To say the least, he looked offended and a bit appalled. Which was exactly what I was going for.

"Nicole!" My mother shrieked, looking mortified. I turned to her, baring my elongated fangs at her. I don't know where my sudden anger came from, but it was explosive and totally overwhelming. by the way they looked at me I could tell my eyes had gone black. Alana was making an appearance, probably just to back me up.

'Don't be a fool. I just don't want him to think I'm some submissive Omega.' She growled, her tail lashing. I couldn't help but chuckle at her. She may act tough, but I knew she was just trying to help me. I hope so, at least.

"Alana. Back down, now." My mother snapped, her eyes turning black as her wolf, Cala, coming to the front. As soon as she had spoken, Rick jumped between us with his hands up.

Fighting the urge to snarl and shift right there in public I set my jaw and forced Alana back, regaining control.

'Don't worry. This isn't backing down, it's preserving our own well being.' I told my wolf soothingly as she paced back and forth in my mind, grunting and snarling. Curling my lip in disgust at Rick and my mom, I cast an impatient glance around.

"Where the hell is your car anyway? I really just want to get out of here and sleep." I scoffed, snatching my bags as they were brought along with my mother's luggage by a stout man in a black suit, who looked very uncomfortable by the atmosphere, I might add.

All Rick did was nod and lead the way to a huge black truck. Tossing my bags in the back, I jumped in the car without a word, crossing my arms across my chest, blue eyes narrowed. I got a frustrated look from my mother as she climbed into the passenger seat as Rick got into the driver's seat and starting he car. Pulling out of the parking lot, we drove towards town in complete silence.