Chapter 7 - The battle

This chapter is a little longer than the others. It had some more action in it!

Chapter 7 - The battle

The next morning everyone gathers at the edge of the forest. They have brought weapons from the woods; stones, tree branches, sticks made into spears and bludgers. And of course bows and arrows. Philly has brought a small sling shot, and on his back he has a back pack filled with small stones.

Rowena is holding the book with songs, that will be her weapon. She has hidden the book under her pyjamas, so you can not see it. This way she can not lose it.

She has slept for only a few hours, but she is wide awake with nerves. Everyone is prepared for battle and is holding hands or paws with the person or animal standing next to them, to give each other courage. Philly stands next to Rowena and smiles at her. He knows everything will go well.

Rowena looks at their army and feels confident herself. When everyone works together, it must work! All the animals and people are looking expectantly at Rowena. She takes a deep breath and walks to the front of the crowd so everyone can see her.

"Thank you all so much for coming today. As long as we all work together and not give up, our plan will work. If I am correct, their will be confusion at first. The director believes no one will dare try to do what we our going to do. This will give us the chance we need to get close to the factory. But please be careful everyone. When he does realise what is happening he will call his army." Everyone nods their understanding.

Rowena goes on. "Is everyone ready?" They all nod their heads again.

"Then it is time to go. The sun is not up yet, so we can use the shadows for cover. Remember: be as quiet as the mice and go the places assigned to you. Good luck everyone!"

Their army leaves in rows of two, walking as quietly as possible, with Rowena and Philly in the front. Dawn is coming when they reach the gates of the city. They picked this time, because it is the time of the changing of the guards. And they are indeed in luck: the night guard has fallen asleep. The new guard is not here yet. Rowena signals everyone to quickly and silently go inside.

Just when the last o them are withing the gates, the new guard is coming. "Quickly everyone!", Rowena whispers. "Hide, the other guard is coming!" They make it just in time. How lucky! The other guard is muttering at the night guard for falling asleep on the job and wakes him up.

"Hey Buck, wake up. You have fallen asleep again." And he shakes the man's shoulder. Buck startles awake. "Huh, what? Oh, it's you Felix." He manages to say with a sleepy voice.

"You're lucky it's me and not the big boss.", Felix tells him. "You know what would happen to you if he had. Go on now, I have the day shift."

And Buck gratefully says goodbye and makes his way home.

"Pfiew! That was just in time!", Philly sighs to Rowena. Luckily they were not seen by the guards. Rowena raises her hand, so everyone, except the guard, can see. That is the signal they talked about. Their army splits up and everyone goes where they are suppose to go, to the centre of the city.

It's like a miracle, almost the whole army reaches the centre of the city without being seen. But not the last group. Just before they reach the last crossing, a guard walks by. He sees them and sounds the alarm.

The group with animals and people stick to the plan and starts to make one hell of a noise, that can be heard throughout the whole city. People come out of their homes, looking around them surprised and looking for the source of the noise. More guards are coming who also sound the alarm. The group with animals and people do not hesitate and start to fight and the whole crowd slowly moves toward the centre of the city.