Chapter 5 - Run!

Chapter 5 - Run!

As quickly as possible, they walk towards the city gates.

"Oh dear, oh dear, I hope we are going to make it.", the doctor mumbles, worried.

They are walking faster and faster. When the city gates are in sight, they start running. When they are about 100 yards away, they suddenly stop. The gates are closing. Within a few seconds they are completely closed! They are too late! That is when they see the two guards standing by the doors. They are big, and have huge mustaches. They are wearing big belts that carry many things, like two ropes, a water pouch, a whistle and a few other things Rowena can't see in the dark.

The guards see them too and call out: "Stop right there! Who are you and why are you still out at this hour?"

"Oh dear, oh dear.", the doctor mumbles again and then speaks louder so the guards can hear him. "I am doctor Woodsman and these are my two assistants." He points to Rowena and Philly. "We visited a few of my patients today and are going home."

"You are out very late, doctor.", one of the guards is walking towards our three friends.

"It's already dark." And he points to the nearly black sky.

"I am so sorry. I had lost track of the time. It was a busy day today.", the doctor tries to explain.

"I am sure it was, but rules are rules. You know that as well as I do.", the guard replies.

"But we are almost outside of the gate and my house is just inside the forest." The doctor begs the man. "Can't you make an exception, just this once?"

"No I can not. You know the punishment for people being out after sunset. I hereby arrest you on the grounds of article 1.", the guard looks serious and not friendly at all.

The doctor softly whispers to Rowena and Philly, so the guard can not hear him. "When I say 'NOW!', you run away as fast as you can and look for the other exit. It is 200 yards that way!" And he points in a manner, so the guard can't see him do it, to the left and a place at the wall a little ways away. "Here, take my book, you will need it.", and behind his back he slides the book towards Rowena. The guard does not notice.

Rowena and Philly both nod once, saying they understand. They do this secretly too, so the guard does not see them do it.

The guard takes one of the ropes on his belt and tells the doctor: "Hands behind your back doctor." The doctor does as he is told. The guard ties the doctor's hands behind his back with the rope. Then, suddenly, the doctor starts to make strange noises and breathing heavily as if he is in a lot of pain. He bends over and starts screaming he has a terrible tummy ache. The guard is distracted and turns his back to Rowena and Philly.

The doctor then gives the guard a head-butt and shouts "NOW!" Immediately our two friends sprint away and run as fast as they can towards the other exit in the city walls. The guard standing with the doctor tries to come after them, but the doctor makes him trip and fall flat on his stomach. The other guard is still at the big doors and is stunned. Then he realises what is going on and starts running after Rowena and Philly.

Our two friends are running with all their might and keep looking for the other exit, but it is very hard to see in the darkness.

Rowena starts to wonder. "Did we pass it already?" She is breathing hard because of the running. "We can't go back!"

Suddenly Philly cries out. "No! Look Rowena! There is the exit! We are almost there, just a little bit further!" He is breathing hard as well, having to run with much shorter legs than Rowena.