Prologue

AUTHORS NOTE:

This is a cancelled book. Now that I am much older I have realized the extreme plot errors that I have done. You may continue reading but I will definitely not continue this story ever. 

I come from the mighty race of Kanzia. We are the descendants of very powerful dragon tamers. When we are born, we have a tattoo somewhere on our bodies. We do not choose it. Nor do our parents. But all we know is that it will be a tattoo of a dragon. Through that tattoo one scale of the creature is removed creating a baby dragon.

Everyone's tattoo resembles that dragon in flight. The dragons are ranked between how common or rare they are. But I never really let their caste get in the way of anything I do.

One of the common dragons is the Swaza or the dragon of speed. It can fly so fast only their tamers could see them. These tamers seem to be very fast as well. It is always unwise to bet things on your speed because these sneaky trainers are also quick witted and will go for any chance to trick you. For this dragon, the dull maroon tattoo appears on your ankle, which curls up until your knee.

For the uncommon dragons we have Litreck, which is known to fly and thrive when thunderstorms are around. They even say that the lightning bolts that appear are the trainers racing their dragons. Although they may be fast in stormy weather they are completely vulnerable without it.

I find them fascinating. They are very lively and energetic. They emote very well and you can see it in their eyes, it is like watching a impending storm brew and mix. Different colors and lights, sometimes you even see a spark of inner lightning. The tattoo is gray with a little yellow, which appears on the right or left shoulder. Depending which hand is better for you.

The water dragon or Azure is very cunning; it is able to manipulate water in any way it wants to. Derived from the sea, these trainers love to swim and fish. The best fishermen are known to be Azures. These trainers are able to manipulate water but never to a powerful extent. My mother is one and I've seen her change the color and density of water to use it as paint. 

The cool ocean blue tattoo appears on the back of the neck, which stretches almost completely around, like a necklace. There is one space that is left open which is only about 3-4 inches. Many Azure trainers then and now put a blue or white gemstone shaped as a wave in the gap. I think they just do it for a fashion statement, I suppose.

The next dragon is the Vasukine or the fire-holder.The first dragon of this kind was born in a volcano. Great power and drive is embedded into these dragons and trainers. They can manipulate fire, but of course none of them ever reached a threatening level like the Azure. My father is one and I've seen him literally play with fire, it was really interesting to watch but my mother would always tell him to stop because he might burn my brother or me. The flaming tattoo appears on both arms curling around them. It is the same dragon in each though. But there is something different about the one of the left.

Moving on to the rare dragons, there is no name for this dragon because it has only been created once, or as I've known. My brother is what he calls a Mist. It was a bad name in my opinion but he rarely ever listens to me. Created from fire and water he can manipulate fog, which can be very annoying when he plays practical jokes on me. He once let the thick fog gather around me while I was walking in the garden, I tried to find my way out, the fog dissipated and he appeared suddenly pushing me into the pond. Luckily I was able to grab his hand to pull him down with me. His tattoo is a sea foam blue which appears on the back of both of his hands. Like the Vasukine the same tattoo appears but there is something strange about one of them. I find it a rather girly color for him and I always make sure to remind him of my opinion.

There are 2 more dragons but they are part of something much bigger. Many more dragons stay hidden and unknown and we wait for them to return to us.

The dragons will grow and learn with us and they will die with us as well. It has never been recorded of a person to live without their dragon protecting them. It is impossible. They are our guardians sworn to protect us with their own life. Only then if they die saving or protecting you may live without your dragon. You might as well say they are our guardian angels. Keeping watch when we are sleeping. Defending us from dark forces. Guiding to what is right. But not all dragons are completely sane and good.

Before we were only one country but a belief had started that we must kill the dragons because soon they would turn savage again. They were able to kill the dragons without killing themselves. You had to sacrifice your self to the most evil dragon. The believers separated from our island. They soon found a new place to live and called their new country Nakan.

Though they killed all their dragon companions there was one a dragon that was much too powerful to be destroyed. That dragon was called the dragon of darkness or the Erkann. Legend says the Erkann influenced the Nakan to turn on us so it would have its own world to rule. The ultimate goal of Erkann was to enslave us but many of us were much to smart to fall for his trickery. On our side was a dragon of equal strength but it was much more wise and kind. Its name was the Dragon of light or the Kanza. The Nakan believe that if they slaughtered us they would have internal peace. But of course they were gravely wrong.

Then they came bringing an entire army of 3000 men. Erkann itself led the army across the battlefield. Its eyes gleamed red with the wanting of death and war luckily we knew this day would come. Kanza came with us as we led our own army. She was too kind to see so many men lose their lives for such an unpatriotic reason. Kanza challenged the black dragon to duel to the death in exchange for both of our people's lives. Erkann reluctantly accepted her request.

The clouds seemed to be attracted to the tension charge between them. As they fought the sky opened up above them then they flew up as lightning struck around. Thunder and lightning came crashing down in assaults of light and sound. The Dragons were no longer in sight and suddenly a wave of a beating pulse erupted for the sky above one black, one gold and they were gone. The Nakan army fled because their leader was gone, and so was ours. The dragons that remained seemed to cry and wail. Then they flew up into the sky and disappeared. A mist surrounded everyone and that one missing scale returned to their tattoo. Although they are gone we are still born with these markings. If they were still alive they would be our life long companions.

Till this day no one knows where they have gone or if they died. Some of my people's elders who were still children when it happened said that Kanza and Erkann were not meant to die instead for punishment were torn away from each other and were thrown at the opposite ends of the earth, to be lost forever and to never fight again. We no longer know how to tame dragons but there are scrolls for them, I believe that all of my people have lost hope. I however will never give up, because my dragon is the Dragon of Light herself.

Author's Note: Which dragon are you?