Chapter 2

Have you ever had an adrenaline rush? Most of us have. Maybe after you finished a ride at the park, or after you just narrowly missed a pothole in the road while driving?

Have you ever felt euphoria? Most of us have. After being kissed by that boy or girl you like. It’s like walking on air… so beautiful, everything so vibrant.

Have you ever felt pain? Most of us have. The occasional paper cut or hand being slammed into you locker or being punched or tripping over our own feet.

Have you ever tasted death? Most of us have not.

I had all of the above and more, everything jumbling into the other, pain mixed with euphoria, an adrenaline rush fueled by the taste of death. No one like the taste of death.

Before I go on, let me tell you about me… Icathia… as a person, a human like you.

I was born on the winter solstice- the shortest day- of the year in 1993 to Kellan and Diamond Masters, a super rich, in love couple in their early twenties. My father is the owner of Masters Inc. a multi-billion dollar electronics company that creates some of the world’s best technology. His father, my grandfather was a direct descendant of a Spanish king and queen and I had obtained their hot blood along with their infamous genius and cunning. My mother was the daughter of a Russian-Irish elite couple who spent time alternating between Europe and North America. I inherited my cold heart from there. My mom seemed to be able to avoid this factor and is rather sweet, though slightly autistic making her well… queer.

My father realized my genius when I was two years old when he saw a painting that I did- an exact replica of my mother’s face- and noticed that I was speaking without the usual stutter-like factor that babies seem to have and I was using words well beyond my age. He became my tutor of sorts and my fashion designer; half-crazy mother was behind him the whole way. He taught me 5 different types of martial arts, physics, business and music. My mother baked with me, rode bikes with me and was the domestic part of our slightly dysfunctional but loving family.

She died when I was 8 years old at my graduation from Stanford from a brain aneurysm. I was devastated, but I think my dad felt it more. He drew away from me and left me in a house with a nanny, cook and maid. The nanny and cook eloped and then died in car crash, but they were my best friends. I enrolled myself back in school where I used my ability on a student and was christened- The Ice Queen.

Speaking of my ability, I realized I had it when I was 2 years old (genius remember?) when I used it on my dad and he woke up screaming that night. It took two weeks to calm him down and then he explained (after my genius was discovered) that I was an Ice Queen, a once in a lifetime genetic anomaly with the ability to paralyze or possibly kill with eyes that were so blue, I thought even I would die from looking at them. I learned to hone my ability and it worked out well for me.

I did not know what was happening to me as I felt myself being lifted. As I heard cries from a voice that was so familiar, but I couldn’t place it. I just felt tired. I finally let my brain shut down as I felt peace overcome me. The arms were familiar. Whose they were? How should I know?

Daniel’s POV:

I rushed out the school after her and saw her getting into her Corvette. That was the biggest mistake I had ever made. I never meant to say those things. I never did, I never did.

I ran to my car and got in, screeching right after her. She was really fast in that car, but I had a chance to catch up to her. As I followed her, I thought over what I had said. I was truly a horrible person. I knew I needed to apologize to her, no matter what.

Then, the accident happened. Seeing her car flying after that hit was like something out of an action movie Except in this case, it was real. I heard the crash and my mind slowed for a moment, and then went into overdrive.

I braked and jumped out of my car, running to hers. She was okay. She was okay. These were words I told myself that even I knew was not true.

Before I got to her car, I saw the blood running from the upside down seat. Her head was smashed through the window of the car and she looked- dead. I picked up speed and ran faster than I ever had before. I wrenched the door open with a strength I didn’t know I had and slowly picked her up. I knew that the other half of the accident was behind me and I turned to him. His face was a little bloodied, but he was fine.

I hurled insults at him as I cradled Ice, praying that she was fine. I took her to my car and lay her down on my seat without thinking of much else. I loved this girl, I knew that now. And she was going to live whether she liked it or not.