Chapter 1

‘Ice? Ice? Icathia Masters!’ yelled Danny into my ear as loud as he obviously could. For as long as I had known him (nearly 3 years) he had never once greeted me the way a normal human being would. Then again, by not being normal, he had changed me from mean and lonely to just a little mean and friendly-ish. I was still not the quiet genius girl, but I was genius enough for the school to overlook my various transgressions. I turned to Daniel, with an annoyed look on my face and coldly asked him ‘What?’ Although he shivered when he heard my voice, it no longer seemed to affect him anymore. I was both awed and annoyed by that.

‘I have a very interesting bit of news for you’ he said, trying to engage me in a bout of gossip. ‘And it’s not gossip’ he said, as if he read my mind. ‘Okay, engage me’ I replied, putting down the book I’d been reading. He seemed to notice it then and said ‘Wow, you’re doing some light reading Ice.’ I’d been reading War and Peace for my Lit class and was almost at the end- thank God for big brains.

‘So, I heard that there is this new girl coming to school today and…’ he was cut off in mid-talk when the doors to the common room- our current situation-opened and in walked a girl with short brown hair, full lips and a shy feel about her. She reminded me of Twiggy- probably because she was so skinny. I saw Daniel’s eyes riveted on her and I couldn’t avoid the weird feeling that spread through me at seeing his scrutinizing look. Daniel knew about her because he worked in the front office as a volunteer and was well-groomed into the whole gossip thing by Old Mrs. White, the receptionist who looked like she belonged in the Dinosaur Age but knew how to use tech almost as well as I did.

I ignored the feeling and waved the girl over to our table which was in a section that was cut off from the rest of the common room. She had such a relieved look on her face that I almost felt concerned about her. There were not many others in this common room but who knew how many people had mocked her for being the overused and ultra-tiring “new kid”.

‘Hi’ said Twiggy, as Icathia chose to call her. ‘Hey’ said Carlos, with a strange, breathless tone to his voice. ‘I’m Kelly, but you can call me Twiggy’ said the skinny girl. At that, Icathia snickered, thinking about how she had just called her that in the deep recesses of her mind. Carlos looked at her with his eyes scrunched up a little and said ‘Ice, did you just… laugh?’ he asked, going from adorable confused (what the hell?) to just plain adorable (I called him adorable!) wide-eyed. I laughed again at his expression and then turned to Twiggy and said ‘Well, Twigs, it’s nice to see that you elicited such a response from me. Welcome to the group.’

Song of the post:

My Life Would Suck Without You ~ Kelly Clarkson

Hyper Music ~Muse

Titanium ~ David Guetta ft. Sia

The rest of the day passed without much event and I learnt to lock away the feeling in my chest and quickly become close to Twiggy-real-name-Kelly. She became the first girl that I ever befriended and the only one too. Being that it was senior year, I did not have the time to make friends with anyone even though I was less cold and tried to use my ice voice even less.

Daniel hung out with us constantly even though he had friends all around the school. He had to be the sweetest boy ever, constantly bringing flowers or weird gifts for us because we were “his girls”. What kind of boy gives a girl  He spent nearly every waking moment in their presence, especially Icathia. But things were not all rosy for all of them. I found out that Twiggy was anorexic and was being taken back to Canada, her home country. I was devastated and avoided Daniel for nearly a month after she was gone. 

He let me have space for a while, but after sometime, he seemed to get angry with my behaviour (so he said) and he reappeared at the front door of my large but mainly empty villa. He invited himself in, with an angry huff and began to wear a hole in the living room's carpet. I remember vaguely, that I had been watching Unnatural History when he knocked and I felt kind of weird the minute he knocked on the door, kind of like I knew he was there.

When he began to speak, I realized that I had missed the sound of his voice a lot and felt a tingle when his very masculine voice enveloped the rather silent walls of my home. I think, that it was because of that factor that I pressed my lips to his. Or was that to stop his incessant ranting?

*********************************************************************

It was awkward the next day at school, but we agreed to not talk about it and were instantly back to being best friends. Spring break came and went, and over the break, Daniel began to date Donna Patrick, a decent, lovely cheerleader. She was good company and we became sort of the Three Musketeers (in cliche terms).

I felt sort of strange, seeing them together although once again, I ignored the feeling. I slowly felt Daniel pulling away from me though. Again, cliche-ly enough, he was being sucked into world of Barbie blonde and Superman buffed up teenagers. I felt him slowly withdrawing from me until the day that he finally stopped being y friend all together. He had blown me off for lunch for two weeks in a row and I was getting angry, so I went up to him between classes and confronted him about it. I did not let him get a word in edgewise, perhaps my biggest mistake.

He stopped me from talking and then proceeded to tell me everything that the entire school, and himself thought of me. It included me being ugly (which was true in a sense, as I knew I wasn't the prettiest flower in the field), a jealous witch which I guess was a little true and a pompous airhead. He put in a few words I will not repeat here, but hurt me a lot. When he stopped, he was sort of breathless and I guessed he had been thinking it for a while. My eyes went white with grief and he seemed to sense what he had done. I laughed lightly- but it came out sort of choked and weak- turned from him and ran out, toward the school gate ignoring his calls behind me. 

I remember getting into my car and driving off in tears. I remember seeing a large fuel tank speeding towards me, a little too late. I remember struggling to remove my seatbelt. I remember catching what I guessed was a glimpse of the driver's face when I looked up from my erroneous task. I do not remember anything else.

*Author's Note: So, this is *long name I'm not ready to type* (I'm lazy, like a cat) and I hope so far, you like it. Icathia is a very... special name don'tcha think?