Chapter 26: Together

The snow crunched underneath my paws as I followed Will up the slope and through the dead trees. Icicles hung from their blackened branches, sparkling at us in the afternoon sun.

   We reached the frozen river, testing the ice to see if it would hold our weight. Once we were on the other side I turned to make sure that my pack made it over safely as well. If any one of them fell in, it was my job to go in after them.

   Tommy was the last one, helping a limping Penny across. She had insisted on coming with us even though we had urged her to rest. Her wounds were healing nicely, but it would take a few more months for her to be fully healed.

   The snow was deep, enveloping my legs and wetting the fur on my belly. I fell in line behind Matthew, trying my best to plough a way through the drifts to make it easier for Penny to follow.

   A huge mound of snow came into view, patches of brown around it. I took a deep breath and, for a moment, I could almost smell Maya's scent and feel her fur brushing against mine.

   One by one, my pack changed into human form. We staggered ourselves around the snow-covered boulder, each of us standing by a wooden cross. Eleven crosses circled the rock - one for each wolf killed.

   After we were sure that Penny would survive, we searched the forest for the bodies of those who were killed. Some bodies, Luke's included, had been reduced to ash but some were still intact, though their gory remains were enough to make many of us sick.

   The stronger wolves carried the bodies to the huge rock while the rest of us dug graves and found sticks and branches from which we could make wooden crosses. Of the three jobs, finding branches proved to be most difficult in the burnt-down forest.

   Today was the first day we had visited the graves as a pack. Tonight was Christmas Eve and we wanted to remember those who wouldn't be able to spend time with us. Death was a part of life, but we didn't want to forget them, especially on a day like this.

   Death also gave way to new life. This morning I woke to hear Sheila crying. At first, I thought that something was wrong but, after a few minutes, found that she was crying of happiness. That morning she found out that she was expecting Harry's (her dead mate's) child. It was a wonder how she hadn't miscarried during all of the battles.

   This news, along with Penny's growing health, also served to raise Tommy's spirits. When his sister's pregnancy was announced he wouldn't stop smiling at the thought of being an uncle.

   As for Will and I, we were content with the fact that our pack was growing in strength and, soon, numbers. The pack's excitement at the thought of spending Christmas together at the brick house and decorating the Christmas tree before our feast gave us hope that maybe bringing the two packs together was a good thing. They certainly all seemed to trust each other now.

   The pack was looking at their alpha's expectantly, Will and I standing with our back to the rock. I nodded, and Will began.

   "Luke Williams." His voice rang through the still winter air.

   "MayaRivers and Jared Blackspruce." I continued, looking at Tommy.

   "KaitlynRivers and Aiden Shadows." Tommy looked to Penny, who continued the roll-call of the dead.

   "Rita Harlet."

   "Lola and Ryley Daniels."

   "Kiera Kingsley."

   "Harry Sutcliff."

   "Henry Smith." Leah, the last one to speak, walked over to one of the wooden crosses and gently slipped a wreath of evergreen branches onto it.

   Everyone was silent for a few minutes, lost in prayer or thought. Then, Will lead us back to the brick house.

   A bare pine tree was waiting for us in the living room, boxes of Christmas ornaments, tinsel, and decorations strewn around it. Time for the fun part.

   The pack settled down to decorating. Matthew and Sheila headed to the kitchen to finish the preparations for our feast. Moments later, we heard them shrieking and laughing as they flung flour at each other around the kitchen.

   "I'm in the mood for hot chocolate." said Tommy all of a sudden.

   Will snorted, "You'll only get it if you decide to brave flour-land over there!"

   We all laughed, glad to be safe and unharmed and, most importantly, together.

   Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Everyone froze, fear plain on their faces. No one wanted a repeat of what had happened last time someone knocked on the door.

   "Everyone in the kitchen." I whispered, making my way to the door, Will close behind me.

   I eased the door open, cold air seeping into our warm house. I closed my eyes, sending up a silent prayer. When I finally opened them I almost screamed.

   On the doorstep was a little boy, brown eyes focussed intently on my face. A muddy scent hit my nose as his lips split open in a smile.

   "Hazel?" he asked.

   I swept him into my arms before he could say anything else, tears running down my face. I had thought that getting the pack, my new family, together for Christmas was amazing, but having my little brother back was the best Christmas present imaginable.

   "Hazel, I can't breathe!" he laughed in my ear and I put him down, kneeling down so that I was at his eye level.

   "What are you doing here? How did you find us?!" I asked incredulously.

   "I just... turned into a wolf one day. I don't know why, it just happened!" he explained, "I tried to control it, really I did, but one day dad came home to see me as a wolf. I think he fainted because he fell to the ground. I ran because I didn't want him to do to me what he did to you. And somehow, I found you guys." He smiled, reaching out to touch my face, "It really is you." For a six year old he must have been through a lot.

   "I guess you were born on the night of a full moon then," I replied, "But it doesn't matter how you became a wolf, just that you're here."

   He wrapped his arms around me, tighter than before, and I lifted him up and carried him inside. Everyone was waiting for us in the dining room, the table already set for our Christmas dinner. They accepted Harry easily, offering him a seat between Penny and me.

   We all stood, Will taking his glass in one hand and placing his other hand on top of mine. He turned to me and smiled, the butterflies in my stomach as he did so reminding me that he was the one.

   The two of us raised our glasses and shouted, "To a new beginning!"

   The toast done, we sat down to eat, talking and laughing as if we had been doing this forever.