Chapter 17: Hunted For Revenge

I crashed through the undergrowth, not caring that I was making too much noise. I was probably scaring off everything, but that's what I wanted - anything that crossed my path at the moment would die quickly.

   An unlucky squirrel ran across the forest floor right beneath my paws and I took my anger out on it. I looked down at the bloody corpse in my claws, damaged beyond repair. No one could have guessed that this used to be a squirrel.

   I felt a sudden flood of something like remorse. This squirrel could have had a family.

   I was shaking again, falling to the ground. When I opened my eyes I was in human form, still holding the limp body in my hand. I buried the squirrel beneath a giant hemlock, placing a stone over its resting place.

   The anger was gone, replaced by grief and sadness. I couldn't kill a squirrel without feeling horrible; how could I kill a person?

   I was still kneeling over the little grave when I heard fur brushing against leaves. Their scent was familiar, though I wasn't exactly happy to see them. Fear took over the grief.

   Standing, I turned to see a black wolf emerge from the bushes. His blue eyes held mine even as he changed, piercing into me, accusing me.

   "What's your problem?" I hissed before I could stop myself.

   I found myself pinned down, his lips moving against my ear, "Hazel, you're the one with the problem. You have until sunset to find and kill Penny. Otherwise... Well, you know the price you pay."

   With a snarl threw him off of me. He hit a nearby tree, the leaves that were still desperately hanging on to the branches wrenched away from them abruptly.

   "Listen, Luke." I had him against the tree, his back pressed against the smooth trunk, "I won't take orders from the likes of Aiden, especially if they're orders to kill anyone, not to mention a little girl. The fact that you're on his side shows that you are nothing but a heartless monster. YOU DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE!"

   He stared at me in stunned silence, clenching and unclenching his teeth. A crow landed on a branch above us, cawing loudly, but we remained motionless.

   "You do know that the only reason you're alive right now is because I couldn't kill you?"

   This time, I was the one staring at Luke in disbelief. In one quiet movement he flipped us around and I dug my nails into the bark of the tree.

   "You think I killed Henry because I wanted to show Aiden I was worthy?" he whispered in earnest, "I didn't want to - the only reason I did was because if I didn't kill Henry, you were the next in line. You were supposed to be the one I was to shoot, but I gave Aiden the idea of using you to finish the job he'd started. That's why you have to kill Penny. If you don't, we go back to the original plan and I'm the one who has to kill you."

   Luke was breathing hard, searching my face for a reaction. When I didn't give him one, he continued, "Hazel, I couldn't kill you. I can't kill you. I still love you."

   My first thought was that he would kiss me. Then I realized that his eyes were stormy and his jaw was clenched in anger. His hands tightened around my wrists and I gasped in pain.

   "But you and Will, right? Never would have seen that one coming." His forehead was against mine, our noses touching. I could feel his lips against mine as he said, "If I kill Will, you'll be mine."

   Before I could protest his lips crashed down onto mine. He was too strong for me to push away and the tree behind me made it impossible to turn and run. Slowly, I lifted my arms as if to put them around his neck but brought them to the tree instead, searching for a low branch so that I could pull myself up. My hand skimmed a thin branch - it probably wouldn't be able to hold my weight, but it was better than nothing.

   Luke was ripped away from me just as I was getting ready to climb. Not bothering to check who saved me, I grabbed the branch and jumped. There was a crack and it dropped to the ground, but I was already further up the tree. Carefully, I settled myself into a fork in the branches and turned my eyes to the ground below.

   A small brown wolf was snarling at Luke and I recognized my rescuer instantly - Tommy. Luke was still in human form, smirking as Tommy circled him.

   "You can't hurt me Tommy," Luke jeered, "You know you're too weak. You know you'll fail again." Tommy bared his teeth, tail lashing.

   "No one wants you," Luke continued, eyes following Tommy as he circled him again, "You're not needed. Not by your sister, not by anyone." Slowly, Tommy's tail dropped, the insults getting to him. Luke smiled, beginning to change. His claws slid out and I knew what he intended to do. What I had to do to stop him.

   "That's not true!" I yelled from the tree, "I needed Tommy to save me!"

   Startled, Luke turned to me, still in human form. Behind him, Tommy crouched and pounced onto his back, pushing him to the ground. His teeth sank into Luke's shoulder, making him scream in pain.

   I dropped to the ground, watching as Luke flipped over so that he was facing Tommy. He was in too much pain to change and his strength was fading fast as he struggled to throw the brown wolf off of him.

   Tommy, however, was ready to finish the fight. He flashed his teeth, bringing them down on Luke's neck.

   "Don't kill him!" I screamed just as Tommy was about to sink his teeth in.

   Everything stopped and no one moved. Finally, Tommy backed away from Luke, who shuddered visibly and got up, clutching his bleeding shoulder.

   Eyes turned to me, questioning, searching for an answer. I couldn't give them one that would make sense to everyone, but I gave Luke a nod, letting him know that I didn't owe him anymore for sparing my life.

   Luke and I broke eye contact when another wolf emerged from the undergrowth, staying close to Tommy. With a sinking feeling I realized that the little brown-gray wolf was Penny.

   "This is your chance, Hazel," Luke smirked, "To prove yourself." His eyes met mine, almost pleading, telling me to do it.

   I took a hesitant step towards Penny. Tommy immediately moved in front of her, fur bristling, but the little wolf slipped out from behind him and padded up to me.

   The little girl before me closed her eyes, head held high, waiting for me to strike.

   "No." I turned away from her, disgusted by myself.

   Luke snarled, already in wolf form, and left in the direction of Aiden's pack without a backwards glance. A moment later, the three of us heard his howl, alerting the rest of his pack to my decision.

   The message was clear - I could either fight or run for the rest of my life.

   I would fight.