Lucky - Chapter One

"Why do you always do that?" Alexander asked, pulling the tie off of his head and handing it back to his friend. "I mean, it looks awesome and I'm not complaining, but..."

Hercules shrugged, tightening the knot on his own head. "My father gave me it when I was young. It's lucky." He sighed, still looking at the door warily even though they were at Alexander's home. "I've just always had it." The nineteen-year-old nodded.

Lafayette had been quiet since the Seabury incident.

"Are you alright?" John asked suddenly, eyebrows knitting together in concern as he noticed Lafayette fiddling. The Frenchman didn't answer, staring at his lap forlornly. "Lafayette-" Hercules started, but seeing as the guy seemed completely caught up in his own head, he interrupted.

"It was."

"What?" The other three said in almost perfect unison. Alex cocked his head to the side, John looked confused in general, but Hercules seemed to know exactly what he was saying. "It was. It was gross ind-...ind-..." He could've pronounced it if he focused hard enough, but he was too stressed, simply letting out a frustrated groan and burying his face in his hands. "I know. We know. We can't keep pretending."

"They'll hang us." Hercules said simply, speaking like he was cornered, in pain and scared. Lafayette let out a bitter laugh that was muffled by his hands. "So let them! Let them. I don't know how much longer I can hide this. Maybe they're right. Maybe this is wrong."

Alexander's expression turned furious. "Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier Marquis de Lafayette, don't you ever doom yourself like that! You have no choice in who you are! We all know that! If it wasn't that way, why would I be here? Why would any of us be here?!" Lafayette flinched at use of his full name, but gave a small smile.

"Sorry, Alexander. I know. It just gets so stressful having to hide it all the time, I mean, for God's sake, our anniversary date was at 4AM with cold dinner on a log in the middle of nowhere, Hercules!" John sat next to Laf and put a comforting arm around his shoulders. Hercules nodded sadly.

"I know, mon amour, I know. It's difficult." He kneeled in front of his boyfriend and took his hand, smiling. "But after the war, after everything...We'll start protesting for something different. For us. Right, Alexander?"

"Absolutely." Hamilton grinned. Laurens nodded as well. Lafayette's smile became wider and honest, and he let out a genuine laugh this time. "Thanks, guys. You're the best."

"Seabury is an asshole." John said quietly, making the others chuckle.

Seabury was an asshole. But he'd only get worse.

LATER

"Aaron Burr, sir." Alexander gasped out. The man looked confusedly at the hunched over smaller one. "Alexander. What's your trouble?" He knew by now that Hamilton wasn't the type to swing by for surprise visits and a cup of coffee to catch up.

"I need your legal assistance."

EARLIER THAT DAY

"Mr Mulligan and Marquis de Lafayette, you are under arrest for gross indecency with another man. You'll have 24 hours to get attorneys before the trial." The policeman was enjoying this way too much. "Good luck finding someone qualified enough to defend homosexuals." He spat the word as his partner started dragging Hercules towards a separate cart.

"NO!" Alexander shouted, but John had his arm on the man's shoulder, holding him back. Lafayette looked desperately at Hercules, and then to Alexander. "Alexander. Mon petite lion. Please. They can do what they want to me, but don't let them hurt him. ALEXANDER, YOU CAN'T LET THEM HURT HIM!"