Chapter VII

Percy's POV

     I outstretched my arms as bright morning light shone through the glass doors in front of me. It's Christmas. I sat up, rubbing my eyes, wrapped myself in a blanket, and went outside. It was quite chilly, I have to admit, but it wasn't dramatically freezing. I took a seat were I sat a couple nights ago and smiled, remembering when Nico kissed me. The sun shone down from the East with bright blue skies, cool wisps of wind brushed my skin, giving me goosebumps.

     "Percy!" Nico's voice sounded muffled from inside.

     "Out here!" I shouted at him. The door slid open.

     "I thought you left." He said, sounding relieved. He took a seat next to me, making me have flashbacks.

     "Where would I even go?" I asked, reaching over to ruffle his hair.

     "Oh, yeah." He said quietly. "I forgot."

     The next few seconds were filled with awkward silence.

     "Merry Christmas, by the way, Neeks." I broke in.

     "Yeah, um, you too." He pulled out a cigarette and lit it, inhaling deeply. He blew out, making me gag, but I held it in, showing no sign of weakness. He gestured his cig to me, offering a swig. I took the cigarette from his frail hands and inhaled, followed by a massive coughing fit.

     "Smoke much?" He joked, taking back his poison stick.

     "Shut up, di Angelo." I coughed and cleared my throat.

     Nico smirked and placed his cigarette in the ash tray and walked back inside. I followed him, sliding the door closed behind me.

     "What? It's going to be 24° tonight!" I said, gaping at the forecast.

     "Damn." Nico said.

     We spent the whole day watching movies, playing video games, and eating unhealthy snacks. What a way to spend Christmas Day.

      Then 8:30 crept up upon us quite quickly.

     "What do you want for dinner?" Nico asked me, putting down his controller.

     "Um, we can order chine–" I started.

     "Its Christmas, Perce, everyone's closed." He interrupted.

     "Oh...right." I looked down, feeling stupid.

     Nico laughed through his nose and got up and shuffled into the kitchen. I heard him scatter through the pantry and refrigerator.

     "Mac and cheese?" Nico offered.

     "Sure, I guess." I shrugged. I walked over to the nook and pulled out a stool and sat down. Nico pulled out a small pot, filled it with water, and set it to boil. He looked down the whole time, focusing on his cooking, never, not once, looking up.

     "Hey, do you have any alcohol?" I asked.

     "Percy, I'm seventeen, almost eighteen."

     "Oh, right." I remembered.

     Nico started stirring the pasta in the water, with his sleeves pushed up his scrawny arms. I examined his right arm, and spotted peculiar marks. Wait no, not marks, scars. Freshly made scars, a few of them fading.

     I walked over to him and pulled his shoulder so he's facing me. "What's this?" I held his arm tightly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CLIFFHANGER? WHAT??!!!???!!

-Rezelda