Chapter 14

Aydan

Aydan

The angels disappear into the darkness, along with the shattered pieces of my world.

Elle.

It can't be her. It just can't. I watched her die, held her lifeless body in my arms. All the intimate moments, the tight embraces, the shared kisses. I would have known if she were anything other than human. There's just no way.

It's not possible.

My mind caves in on itself as I think about every moment Elle and I shared. Every moment I need to forget.

If I can . . .

She stands in the fields, herding the goats. I am in awe. Her soft hair and pale skin. Surely nothing in Celestium is as beautiful as the girl that stands before me.

My skin prickles in the cool breeze. I have to meet her. Talk with her. The Council has warned against interfering with humans. But they couldn't have meant her. This apparition.

This angel.

"Hello," I say as I approach.

She looks down, shy. And even more irresistible.

"I'm new here," I say, tripping over my words. "I work on the Stubbe farm, keeping things in order when Mr. Stubbe is away."

She stays silent.

"My name is Adam."

Her face flushes as she steals a glance.

"What is your name?"

"Elle," she says, her voice barely audible.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that." I have to hear her voice again.

"Oh," she whispers. She lifts her head and looks at me. "My name is Elle." Our gaze meets and I'm locked in a sacred moment, just the two of us. Her eyes search mine. Does she know what I am? Can she tell? My wings are hidden. My skin doesn't glow. Yet, she sees something of me. My soul—the part of me I show no one.

In that second I know . . .

I will never forget her.

I scroll through the times Elle and I shared, still unsure. But even as I try to find a way to convince myself it isn't true, I know the truth.

Nesy and Elle are the same person.

And things just got complicated. Too complicated.