Chapter XXI: Fort Alafin

SONG OF POWER

CHAPTER XXI:  FORT ALAFIN

The group ran through the night as Lucifer and the seven Fell Gods were chasing them.  Concern for Tyroce weighed heavily on their hearts, yet instead of being slowed by this weight, they were spurred on to greater speeds.  Each runner moved with narrow focus, never glancing at the beautifully rolling hills to the left and right, nor observing the crystal clear constellations that hung gently in the sky above.  They ran until they could see the arrogant walls of Fort Alafin.  Such was the time that Jake’s potions wore off, and it was an exhausted man, woman, ogre, two elves, and two gnomes that finally arrived at the unnecessarily-massive gates that warded the plains away from the Baron’s sanctum.

“Who approaches?” hailed a guard from atop the barbican, flanked by two crossbowmen ready to defend the keep.

“I am Donk the Dashing, and have supped within these walls before! Allow me to introduce my lord of late, Baronet Cipher Lostheart of Cyen, along with his wives and retainers.  We seek entrance and aid!” bellowed the lanky ogre, leaving Rowena to wonder silently how the massive bard could find his wind after the cross-country sprint he’d just taken part in.  Though Jake’s magical draughts had allowed them to keep up the pace over the miles, the drinkers still felt fatigue.

Relief crossed the guard’s face at Donk’s name, and one of the crossbowmen reflexively lowered his weapon.  The other kept it trained on—if Cipher was tracing the man’s sight picture correctly—Tyroce, of all people.  Cipher fumed but was still.

“But of course.  Milord Lostheart, honored guests.  I apologize for our precaution,” the man’s flowery speech grated on Cipher’s nerves.  The speaker motioned to his crossbowmen to open the gates.  With a loud protest the great gates of Fort Alafin groaned open.  A swarm of valets, porters, and lackeys surged around the fatigued group, enough servants to make a fuss of royal proportions.  Seeing the incoming nobility on the verge of collapse, a jug of traveler’s wine was quickly moved among them; Donk finished the last half of the jug with a weary grin.  Before they knew it Cipher and his companions were ushered inside the keep and seated in comfortable, cushioned seats at a table that was hastily being laid out with all manner of foods.  Cipher felt numb to the world as he was introduced to Chancellor so-and-so, and it only vaguely registered that the Baron was indisposed but would dine with his guests that evening.  It was only when Tyroce crashed from her chair that the fog lifted—Cipher felt wide awake in spite of his recent exertion.

“She’s dead!” shrieked a scrawny page, blanching.

“You fool, be still! The woman lives yet—barely.  Fetch Father Somerled at once!” one of the older boys managed to maintain his bearing and took charge of the rest of the servants.  Orders were issued and carried out.  Jake, Ninthalsaya, and Rowena huddled around the comatose form of Tyroce, pooling their magic specialties in hopes that they could at least retard the poison, if not remedy it.  Cipher remembered the book that Summoner had thrown to him and quickly fished it out from where it was stowed.  Though Cipher could not read any of the words within, he quickly found a remarkable illustration of Apepi.  His silver eyes widened in hope and fear.

“Jake!” Cipher moved to the gnome’s side, shoving the green book into his tiny hands.  “Look, this is the demon—Apepi—that Summoner conjured.  This is what wounded Tyroce.  But I can’t read this!” Cipher’s voice was full of despair, and his hopelessness seemed to spread like an enervating wave through the room.  Jake shook his bespectacled head to clear it.

“Not now, Cipher.  Control yourself.  Of course you can’t read this; it’s written in Lifa, for Biotan’s sake! Do you read Lifa?” Jake asked, and Cipher shook his head.  “It’s a shame, lad.  I cannot read this language, either! Quick, lad, the potions!” Cipher produced the potions for Jake, who quickly selected a draught that smelled strongly of lemons.  After drinking its all, Jake once more looked at the book.