Chapter V: Ruto

SONG OF POWER
CHAPTER V:  RUTO

The sunset washed across the land, boosted eastward by reflecting off the calm, broad McShain River that separated Drakkenavia from Emeria.  The last rays of the day ran joyfully across the landscape and splashed against the foothills and mountains that rose in the east.  Not to be outdone by the surrounding countryside, the high walls and imposing defenses of Ruto made sure to take on their fair share of dwindling light, which only made the gnomish city seem that much more impressive.

The four gnomes that guarded the entrance to the gate were armored in masterful ribbed plate mail, forged of the finest steel and polished to a high gloss.  Each gripped a broad-headed spear and wore a kite shield emblazoned with the heraldic device of Ruto:  a black raven on a field of gold, a dagger clutched in its talons.  In the last rays of the setting sun, their armored exterior reflected the sunset and was as gold.

Each sentry proudly stood between their city and the world, taking their duty seriously.    Though the gnomes were half the height of those in the approaching group, they were easily the most intimidating figures that the Cyenites had yet seen.

“Ho there, travelers!” one of the gnomes hailed the group.  They were informed that he was in charge of the gate by the impressive crest of feathers erupting from the top of his armet.

“Evening’s tidings, good Sir Knight.  From the east we come, by Phrenon’s guidance; lastly from Cyen, where we lost the rest of our caravan to goblins! The scum! My troupe is weary; we need a cheap inn to warm our bones and rest our heads,” Cipher nonchalantly addressed the crested knight.  The others stood arrayed about him, nodding appropriately to support the falsehood Tyroce had contrived on the road.

“Goblins! May the Risen Gods skin them all to make a sack large enough to haul away their stinking bodies!” the gnome swore in typically elaborate gnomish fashion.  He motioned for them to pass into the city.  “If you seek a welcome inn wherein to perform, I recommend the Liquid Chicken, just down the southern way here.  Now please, move along; we seal the gate at sundown since the goblins are on the move.”  The group thanked the knight and entered Ruto, hearing the rumbling of the mighty portcullis as it was lowered into its vigilant stance.

Ruto was a town of low, flat stone houses, the walls of which were carved with grand murals of gnomish life, the Raven Knights, and raven motifs.  All of the doors were tall, thin trapezoids, tall enough for Tyroce to pass through if she so chose.  The Liquid Chicken was easy enough to pick out, as it was a four-storey edifice with well-lit windows in the bottom story.  They were greeted upon arrival by a young gnome boy who led Tyroce’s ass and cart away for a copper dump[1].  The group went through the double-doors of the inn and into the warmth and light.

The interior of the Liquid Chicken was warm and inviting.  Animal pelts hung on the walls to reduce the draft, and a plump gnomish woman was tending the fire of the over-large fireplace.  The furniture within was scaled for man-sized creatures, although it was built to accommodate the smaller gnomes (each chair had a step on it to help the little folk take their seats).  As soon as the quartet were seated, a beautiful young woman came over to the table and set down four clay cups of cool, clear water.  Cipher was amused to see that she was wearing tall wooden clogs to boost her height.

“Welcome, travelers! Will you be needing a meal?  A bath?  One room or one for each of ya?”  The girl plopped down a thick, self-imortant tome on the table and produced a vial of ink and a quill from her apron.  She turned her squinty-eyes to Cipher for answers.  He blinked his silver eyes at the gnome but said nothing.