The Poet and The Singer

"...The sun is soon to rise, and then you'll bid farewell,

Thank you, dear Luna. See you next time and be well."

Macintosh Hayes, or Mac, a simple boy who loves to write free poems, was all day in his room, composing a poem about the moon. He always makes poems whenever he is inspired or depressed. It is his stress reliever. Anyways, it was already eight o'clock in the evening when he finished his poem. He looked out at the window and shouted to the moon,

"Heard what I did, Luna? I dedicate this poem to you!"

Suddenly, his neighbor, Aileen Stirling, called him and said,

"Are you okay, boy? Seems like that poem loosen your screws,"

"Shut up, Lin! You just can't appreciate poems!"

"To hell with poems. They're boring. Only music gives it life," she said as she wore her headphones,

Mac didn't respond for he doesn't like fighting with girls, and what she said was true for him. After all, he is a country singer, well, at least when he is in the showers. He just sighed,

"Just sleep now, Lin. And mind your own business,"

"Yeah, yeah..."

"Hey, Lin?"

"What?"

"Good night," said Mac with a smile,

"Whatever," replied Aileen with a roll of her eyes, then she closed her window.

Marlon looked at her for while, with a smile on his face. He saw her dancing, maybe on the music she was listening to. Then, he went back to his bed. He turned around on his left and took his alarm, setting it to 3 AM. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

Next morning, Mac woke up five minutes before 3 AM,

"Why do I always woke up before the alarm rings?" he told himself. He closed his eyes, trying to go back to sleep but he decided to take a bath instead. It took an hour for him to finish taking a bath (due to his shower-singing),

"It's been a long time since I had a really full bath," he told himself,

Then, he went to the closet to look for a neat clothes.

"First day of school... How exciting," he chuckled, reminiscing for a while about his years in school and now, as a graduating student.

While dressing up, he heard Aileen singing. He just smiled with a snort,

"Hey, Lin?" he hollered,

"You again?"

"Well, what do you expect?" chuckled Mac,

"What's your problem?"

"Can't you at least lower your voice down? There are others who are still asleep,"

"I don't care!" and she plunged her headphones on her ears and started singing again with a louder volume. She has a golden voice. Even Mac loves to hear her sing. That's why he never closes his window so that he won't miss a minute of her voice.

He went back to prepare his things. Then he realized that she woke up early that time. Aileen always wakes up late. There are times when Mac had to jump by a branch to get to her window and knock. Don't get it wrong. They are friends - well, kind of. They've always been cats and dogs together - arguing at all times. They have a huge difference. Mac loves to write poems and short stories. He usually wears simple attires (Open-buttoned polo, shirt, skinny jeans, and sneakers). On the other hand, Aileen loves to sing and listen to music. and usually wears a rebel-like attire (Black tank, silver earrings and necklace, spiky bracelets, mini-skirt with ripped jeans, and high-cut sneakers) like Avril-kinda-thing. Their perception at each other is different, as well. She looks at Mac as a boring guy because for her, poems are boring. Mac on the other hand don't mind her teasing at all. But be that as it is, there are times that Mac fights for Aileen, especially when she is fighting with her mom. Whenever the debate between Aileen and her mother started, Mac would always go to his front porch, listening and thinking how he could defend her. Eventually, Aileen would walk out of her house and would go to him. That would be the time he would talk to her mom, telling her to give her a space. But the last fight was worse. He saw Aileen, slapped by her mother's new man, outside the house. He could not control himself that time. He shoved the big man off Aileen and punched him on the face three times, straight to the nose. Ever since her parents divorced and her mom married another man, Aileen became a rebel. Mac tried to cheer Aileen up after their long debate. That's why, even though they have cat-and-dog relationship, they look out for each other.