Chapter 10

"What?"

Harry looked straight across at Draco.

"You heard me."

"You're right, I did, but I don't believe it. It's only been what... My trial was two months after the war, and then I had a four month wait until starting here..." Draco squinted his eyes. "It's been six months since the war and she wants a baby? The brightest witch of our age wants a baby at 19? Are she and Weasley even together?!"

Harry sat reclined in his chair with a smirk on his face. After a few more moments Draco's rambling ceased.

"Are you finished?" Draco gave Harry a curt nod. However, before Harry could speak Draco cut him off.

"Why are you telling me this Potter? I'm not her friend or yours. This job is a punishment. I'm here because I have to be and I have no intentions of liking it here or to make friends. And it doesn't affect me."

"Noted," said Harry. "I'm telling you this because it does affect you. And before you object let me tell you how."

Draco folded his arms and scowled. This is not what he had planned when he agreed to meet that evening.

"Hermione takes immense pride in everything she does. She wants to be, no has to be the best. At everything. Which is where you come in. She will not let her work suffer and given that she let you debrief at the meeting the other day I take it she trusts you with her work."

Draco still didn't see where this was going and Harry could tell by the confused squint of his eyes.

"What I'm trying to say is make sure the work you are doing is quality work or it will stress her out. And when she's stressed so is everyone around her, and that is not enjoyable. Also, see if you can get her to say why she is doing this."

Draco scoffed. "You mean to tell me, you, Saint Potter, don't know what your own friend is up to?"

"I'm not proud of that Malfoy, but you can't refuse. Consider this as part of your assignment, but one only you and I know about."

The two men sat in silence. Finally Harry stood up.

"I'll see you at work tomorrow."

"Yeah sure," mumbled Draco.

---------------------------------------

Draco was not looking forward to today. His conversation with Harry last night had not gone the way he had expected it to and truthfully, it was information he wanted to know nothing about.

Before heading into the office, Draco squared his shoulders. As he opened the door he saw Harry talking with Hermione. Not wanting to interrupt he quietly stepped into the office.

"Oh, Draco, there you are. I was just telling Harry that you are going to be taking on a more significant role around here."

Draco simply nodded at Hermione.

"That's all I wanted to tell you Harry. I'll see you later at the Weasley's for Teddy's party."

As Harry walked out the door he looked at Draco.

"Don't forget Malfoy." Harry closed the door behind him. Draco strode over to his desk and sat down.

The day passed in eased silence as the two worked. Neither spoke to each other unless about paperwork or the occasional small talk to breakup the silence. Draco could tell the silence was bothering Hermione. She always tapped her finger nails on the desk when she had something on her mind, and today he was pretty sure the desk had nail indents in them.

"What did Harry mean when he said 'don't forget' earlier?" said Hermione in her mock Harry voice.

Fuck. Draco knew his deal with Harry wasn't going to go unnoticed by the witch, but he also didn't expect to have to deal with it this early.

"Potter asked me to get you to tell me why you're trying to get pregnant... again."

Hermione clenched her teeth, willing herself not to show any emotion. She ignored Draco's last statement and returned to her work.

Five minutes hadn't passed before Draco heard her exasperated sigh and the clang of her quill against the desk. Draco looked up to find Hermione staring at him. Her gaze was strong and it made him feel uncomfortable.

"Are you going to ask one of the million questions buzzing around in that big brain of yours or not?" asked Draco sharply.

Hermione crossed her arms over her chest.

"What did he tell you exactly?"