Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Cassie’s POV

I pointed to a spot on my forearm. “Make sure you hit right here. This numbs the arm for only a couple of seconds and use those seconds wisely. Okay?”

Panting, Gabby nodded. The both of us were sweating like crazy in our sweats and sports bra, but were more focused on the task at hand.

I put my fists up and slid a foot back into my fighting stance. “Then let’s try it again.”

Without as second to waste, she lashed out at me, throwing kicks and punches left and right. I already knew how she fought so it was easy to move away from the most painful hits, but I still allowed her to get a couple in. Then she did something I didn’t expect from her. She faked an elbow and I attempted to block it just as she hit my forearm in the spot I showed her. I felt my arm start to throb and bit my tongue from crying out in pain. She drew back her arm for the final blow and when she threw it, I caught it in the hand that wasn’t hurting.

I looked up at her with a grin. “Good job.”

“Yay!” She squealed and pulled me into a tight hug. “Thank you, Cas! Thank you, thank you, thank--”

I furrowed my brows when she stopped and pulled away to look at her. “What’s wrong?” I turned around to wear she was looking and saw the three new recruits standing in front of the door to the gym. The guy I met at the hotel had a sly smirk on his face.

“What are you three doing here?” Gabby asked them politely.

The girl of the group stepped forward. “We were told to come here early for practice. But it looks like Ivy isn’t here.”

I rolled my eyes. “She likes to be fashionably late.”

Gabby jabbed me in the side with her elbow, causing me to laugh. “She’s probably just running a bit late. We could warm you guys up for her if you want.”

The girl smiled. “We’d like that.”

I gave a mental eyeroll and pulled one of my arms back towards my back. Gabby’s always friendly. Don’t get me wrong, I love that about her, but I really didn’t want to see that guy right now. I’ve been avoiding his eyes as soon as they came in.

“What are your names?” Gabby asked them as she pulled one of her legs back to her backside, stretching her limbs.

“I’m Drina.” She beamed and pointed to the big guy behind her. “And that’s Jem. And—“

“I’m Nick.” Came the husky response.

I continued stretching, trying hard not to look at anyone. Especially him.

So his name was Nick. It kind of suited him in a way.