Confront {8}

The ride to my house was peaceful. My stomach had the bad kind of butterflies. I knew that Mitch was going to kill Matt, but I was more nervous about how he would take mine and Jesse's new relationship.

When we pulled into the driveway my stomach got worse.

"It's going to be alright Robin. Mitch will accept us but he may be a little harsher toward me."

All I could do was smile. Suddenly I remembered the day at the beach. I remembered showing Jesse the small bruises appearing on my wrists. I never was able to show Mitch.

I looked down pulling up my sleeve.

The bruises were barely visible, but there was no hiding the fact that they were still there. I was scared about facing Mitch and the world.

"Your wrists look a lot better."

"Yeah but they are still there."

I saw Mitch's truck sitting in the driveway. The house that several days ago seemed like a safe haven now seemed a world away. Jesse opened his door and got out on the concrete drive. He walked around the front of the car to my door. He opened the door and helped me to my feet.

I closed the car door and we walked to the front door. Jesse held my hand comfortingly as I opened the door to my house. I could smell pancakes and bacon from the kitchen. Jesse began removing his coat and hung it on the coat rack.

My hands began sweating and my legs felt as if they would collapse.

“Robin you can do this, alright. It is only your brother not a murderer.”

Jesse reached his arms around me and pulled my jacket from around me.

“Hey Robin, I'm in the kitchen.”

Jesse tightened his fingers around my hands. Hands held we walked toward the kitchen. As usual, Mitch was already dressed. He was wearing a white undershirt with a blue collar shirt. His trademark black jeans were on his legs. Since he was cooking he was walking around the kitchen in socks.

Jesse was still at ease. I kind of wished I could be that calm about the whole situation. I decided to be the first the break the silence.

“Sure smells good Mitch,” I said as Mitch pulled out a plate from the cabinet.

“Well thanks. Always love my food.”

Jesse still held my hand as comfort.

“How about the two of you sit in the living room. I'll be in there in a few minutes.”

Slowly Jesse and I walked into the living room. Jesse pulled me toward the open couch. Jesse and I sat on the couch in silence. Silently we agreed to slowly reveal out relationship to Mitch. So Jesse released my hand before Mitch entered the room.

Mitch entered the room carrying a plate of pancakes and bacon. He took the black couch recliner across from us.

“Okay now sis please explain about Matt and why you are no longer speaking.”

“Well Mitch,” I began. Suddenly I stopped, my hand were getting all clammy, all sweaty.

Then Jesse spoke.

“Mitch you must promise to listen completely and do not interrupt. Robin had been through quite a bit in the past few days.”

Mitch looked at Jesse. I admired Jesse for talking to my brother like that. Jesse showed Mitch he wasn't afraid of standing up for me.

“I promise to listen and not interrupt. I'll stuff food in my mouth when to start to talk.”

Mitch cut up his pancakes and began eating.

“Okay first thing's first you wanted to know about why I came home so late. Well . . . Matt and I got into an argument and I had to walk home.”

Mitch stuffed his mouthful of pancakes to keep from talking.

“The reason I walked was because of this.”

I pulled up my sleeves revealing barely visible bruises. I watched as Mitch's face slowly changed from to anger. He remembered to stuff his mouth, but kept the same look on his face.

“Also I found him cheating on me. I finally realized he isn't the one for me.” I turned my head in Jesse's direction.

Now was the time to tell Mitch the honest and scary truth.

“Mitch I want to hear your thoughts.”

Mitch sat his plate on the coffee table and drew in a breath.

“First, I am thankful you realized he wasn't right for you. Second, I really want to kick Matt's ass. And last have you found the one for you?”

Jesse inched his hand closer to mine.

“Actually Mitch I believe I have found the one for me. He has been my best friend for a long time. The perfect guy for me is Jesse.”

Jesse's hand covered mine and we awaited Mitch's judgment.

“Well it's about time,” Mitch let out a laugh, “Well welcome Jesse and as always do not break or hurt my sister or I'll hurt you.”

Mitch stood up and opened his arms for Jesse. As the two guys hugged I realized my life was getting better already.