A Nottingham Christmas Angel's Mass

Pardonne moi for being late with this tale of sorrow. It was a very difficult thing for me to write.

  For ever since my childhood Angel's Mass has always been a favourite of mine. Full of peace and calmness that has always brought me comfort. That is until this past Angel's Mass.

  This Angel's Mass was my first in Nottingham and in a way with Sir Guy. I say in a way for it is not how I imagined spending Angel's Mass. Not at all. Angel's mass became an unexpectedly tragic event.

  After fasting all day, as is the custom, I went to St. Mary's Church for the Angel's Mass at midnight. It felt calm, sacred and beautiful. Especially whith the friars chanting the Mass.

  In the middle of Mass I heard, as I expect we all did, the sound of familiar heavy footsteps with prick spurs he had gotten on the Crusade. At once we all knew who it was...Sir Guy of Gisborne. With my heart in my throat and mist of tears in my eyes, I thought i knew what this meant...Sir Guy was coming to spend Christmas with me the only way he could, in plain sight yet in secret. While the others were kneeling and praying in fear, I knealed and prayed out of love and thanks to Dieu for letting Guy spend what little time he could with me at Christmas. Even after the event that took place my heart still beats fast for him.

  What took place? The saddest of tales and sorrows that have left me hurt, embarrassed and ashamed. Sorrowful is a more given term for my feelings over what has passed. Yes, it was my beloved Guy and I all but leapt into his arms. I would have, if not for a second of clarity for the place and the people who where there. For in Guy's company there was also the sheriff of Nottingham ,Vaisey, and the other Black Knights. They had come to St. Mary's, not for contrition, but to pillage the church and it's members of what litle finery they had. We had. Yes, I was robbed by my beloved.

  Alongwith some others, I was standing in the back of the church trying to hide in the shadows, hoping not to be seen or heard. Alas, it was not to be for two Black Knights came and started viciously beating and robbing some of the other worshipers. Never have I felt more helpless than when one the Black Knights came upon me and started yelling and raising his hand to me. It is when I am on the ground and having my dress torn, as he is all but cutting off my finger that held Guy's ring, that I must have screamed for the next thing I remember is a black glove going around my assailant's neck, his eyes bulging and his being thrown across the church. Sir Guy was snarling and breathing hard after my assailant, as if he wanted to spill my assailant's blood through St. Mary's. I was gathering myself and planning on running to Sir Guy and not caring about the consequences, when Vaisey yelled at Sir Guy to get back to robbing the worshipers, starting with me and if Guy did not do as he was ordered then Vaisey would rob me himself. The thought of the sheriff anywhere near me terrified me for he could always take me prisoner, put me in the dungeon and sell me to the highest bidder...if he did not kill me first.

  Guy looked at me with a smirk on his mouth and sadness in his eyes. We both knew what had to be done.So, I helped Sir Guy rob me. I robbed myself. Without an option, I lifted my left hand up and put his his gloved hand on my wrist and and roughly took his ring off my finger. I wanted to kiss my  ring as a way of sending my love to him, but Guy would not let that happen.

  Guy then looked at me with an unreadable look upon his face. That iswhen something in me broke. It was my heart. I died or at least a part of me died at Angel's Mass. The look on Guy's face will haunt for always.

  Pardonne moi, I was lost in thought. Anyway,  I fell to my knees and covered my face and savagely wept. With the sheriff looking on in evil glee, Sir Guy and the other Black Knights finished robbing St. Mary's and her worshipers, with some beatings thrown in for good measure. We were left in sobbing heaps scattered about the church floor when a kindly looking friar, who seemed to have been beaten worse than any of the other friars, began to play 'Novo Profusio Gaudio' . We tried to sing or feel reverence but our hearts were not into it. Dieu nous pardonne. God forgive us.