Chapter 3- Talk.

I crossed the street, trying to ignore the feeling of his eyes watching my every move. This was it. I risked a quick glance at him. Although from a distance, his black hair looked harsh, and cold, closer up it seemed to look softer. Framing his face, and providing a sharp contrast to his pale skin (no, not vampire pale). He hadn't changed from what he had been wearing earlier in the library, plain black trousers and a neon green hoodie. I had to admit, he looked good. Wait, no. Don't think that, I'm not here to ogle the boy. I mentally shook myself as I finally reached him. I stood a little further apart than two people who were about to have a conversation normally would. He hadn't taken his eyes off me the whole time, for some reason this thought caused a small blush to creep into my cheeks. I crossed my fingers in my coat pocket, hoping he hadn't been hearing my thoughts.

'So, you read minds.' I hadn't meant to be so direct, or for my voice to come out sounding so gruff for that matter. Still, it had to be said. He stared back unabashed at my question.

'Yeah, I-' He sounded unsure, he had been about to say more, but something stopped him. That annoyed me, so he found out my biggest secret, a secret we both share, followed me home and stared at my house like a creepy stalker and HE didn't trust ME?

'You...what?' I urged. I tried to sound tough, I doubt it worked though. He ran a hand through his hair, seemingly frustrated.

'I just, I never thought that...y'know...I'd find you,' He gestured to me. 'I didn't mean you specifically; I mean I'm not a stalker or anything! Well I know you probably think I am because I'm stood outside your house like stalkers do. Not that I'd know or anything...' He exhaled, looking dejected. His shoulders drooped, and I had to fight an overwhelming urge to HUG him. That was weird. This earned me another mental shake.

'I just meant I never thought I'd find someone who can,' He glanced around self-consciously. 'Do what we can do.' He finished in an almost whisper. Throughout his speech, although he seemed to be rambling like a crazy person, his eyes had told a different story. They looked quick, intelligent, and very focused. I took a brief moment to wonder how I'd got all that from someone's eyes, but decided not to read too much into it. After all, I HADN'T been gazing into them. Ok, so he was hot, I'll admit it, but I am only human, and he was also a creepy stalker/ mind reader.

'Well, here I am.' Came my lame response. It was then that I saw my fathers head poke out the door.

'Crap,' I muttered, grabbing his arm and pulling him behind one of the many trees that lined our street. I risked a quick glance at the door, only to see my father hauling two black bags, full to the brim with trash. Close one. Too close. I should've been more careful. I watched as Dad tied each one up, left them at the side of the house, then returned inside, slamming the front door shut behind him. He hadn't even bothered to put shoes on.

'Umm...' Came a confused voice from behind me. I realised that to him, it looked like I had just pushed him into a tree, then worriedly watched someone take their trash out. Well, I never claimed to be good at making first impressions. I turned to look at him, brushing off leaves from my coat.

'Yeah, sorry. I just didn't want my Dad to see you.' I replied, answering his unspoken question. For some reason, this made him smile.

'Ok then. Maybe we should start again.' He suggested, looking hopeful.

'Um, ok. I'm Holly.' I hoped this was what he meant by 'start again', or I had just made myself look very stupid indeed.

'I'm Alex Grey.' He had such a good name! 'Nice to meet you.' He gave me a sunny smile, before an awkward silence descended. Well, what do you say to a guy who you only just met, but shares your deepest, darkest secret? Hence the awkward silence.