Chapter 2- Coward?

I can't even tell you what a relief it was to get home that night. After packing up my stuff from the library and practically dragging Amber (who was still making googly eyes at the guy) out of there, I basically ran home.

'Dad!' I yelled as soon as I slammed the front door shut. I dropped my bag at the foot of the stairs, I was gonna get in trouble for that later, and bounded into the living room to find my Dad sprawled on the sofa, with his laptop balanced precariously on his lap.

'Whats up hon?' He asked, frowning at the computer screen. That's pretty much when I lost my nerve. I knew it was important, I should tell him everything. I should, it was the right thing to do. So why didn't I do it?

'Ooh, I just wondered if you fixed the internet thingie yet, I have homework, and the school libraries resources are seriously limited.' I exhaled all at once. I didn't want to babble and make him suspicious enough to pick my brain (literally). He never usually used his ability on anyone, he believes in 'privicy'' or something. Still, I am his daughter and apparently that gives him some sort of rights, so sometimes he will take a peek into my thoughts. I mean what could be better then having your fourty-six year old father eavesdropping on your every personal thought. I guess I could get all teenage-y and stroppy and the-world-is-out-to-get-me about it, but I'm sort of used to it now. Anyway, I told him if he ever listens to my thoughts again I'm gonna tell mum what he really thinks about her new haircut, when in doubt, resort to blackmail.

'Sorry, still nothing. Hopefully by next week though...' He mumbled, obviously still absorbed in the spreadsheet that was on the screen. Fun.

''Kay' I yelled over my shoulder, I was already out of the room.

'Holly do you have to shout. And pick up your school bag, this place is a pig sty.' My Mum hollered from the kitchen. She was such a ray of sunshine in my life.

'Mum that is digusting.' I said, mainly to myself then to her. I heard Dad's stifled laughter from the living room as I picked up my school bag. Mum was being dramatic, the house was fine, it just looked lived-in. Of course there were going to be a few stains, two children were raised in that house, and that is what happens when you buy a cream carpet, and paint the hall 'lavender' purple.

My mum appeared in the kitchen doorway, phone in hand, with an alarminly manic look about her.

'Look at this place, David you said you were going to vaccum. How was your day sweetie?' It was unnerving how she could start a sentence being utterly furious, and end it as sweet as pie.

'Fine, whats up? You look...stressed' I replied choosing my words carefully.

'These stupid internet people, well as soon as I get off hold I'm going to tell them where to stick it-' She turned back into the kitchen, continuing her rant to the empty air apparently. The door swung shut, I sighed glad for her distraction. No school talk today. I trudged upstairs, and headed straight into my bedroom, quitely shutting the door behind me. It had been a long day, I needed some quiet time. I quickly rethought that decision after catching a glimpse of myself in my bedroom mirror, with a sigh I grabbed my hairbrush and set out to repair the damage the school day had inflicted upon my hair. I wasn't one of those perfect little blonde angels, who seem to walk around in a bubble where wind never affects their hair (or they just use a lot of hairspray). Not me, I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, and no desire to 'experiment' with hair dye any time soon. Unlike Amber. After managing to semi-tame my wind swept hair I flung myself onto my bed. NOW I needed the quiet time.

Ok, so far today, I had been given about a years worth of science homework that I would never get done without the internet, I met a weird guy who can also read minds but got too scared to talk to him, dragged my best friend half of the walk home and ignored her the whole way which means she will be pissed at me for precisely a decade, then to top it all off, I didn't tell my Dad about one of the most important things that I have ever found out. I was starting to get the impression that I was overthinking things, so I did the only thing I could do in this situation, I called Amber.