Chapter 40. Hospitals ✔️

"Skylar!" I hear a familiar voice yell. "Are you almost ready?" They ask me.

I look down at my legs. They are so small. I'm wearing jeans, a red t-shirt with a blue and red flannel, and red converse. I'm trying to tie my shoes. My little fingers just aren't working. I sigh.

"Need help?" I hear someone ask.

I look up and smile at my mother. She smiles back to me. "Remember, you don't have to be perfect at anything to be perfect to me."

I nod my head. I watch her as she ties my shoes. When she is done we walk over to the mirror. She stands behind me and smiles. I smile at our reflections. I'm eight. My mother and I are wearing matching outfits.

"Come on. We don't want to keep your father waiting." She says as she takes my hand. I nod as her and I walk down all of the stairs. The rest of my family is waiting for us. "Ready?" My mom asks my dad.

He shakes his head no. My mom raises an eyebrow at him. He walks forward and kisses her. When they pull apart he smiles. "Now I'm ready."

I follow my family into the car. "Come on Skylar." I hear faintly.

I look around while I buckle my seat. Nobody said my name. I shrug and look at my baby brother. He is three. My sister smiles at me. "Want to color?" She asks me.

I smile and nod my head as she takes out a coloring book and some crayons. "You color this page and I will color this one." She says to me.

I nod and take out a red crayon and start coloring the sky. My father turns on our song. "I've had the time of my life." My father starts singing.

"And I've never felt this way before." I sing.

"And I swear it's the truth." My sister sings.

"And I owe it all to you!" My mother sings. We all smile and continue to sing the song all the way there.

Once the car is parked I unbuckle and jump out of the car with my sister. My mom gets my brother and my dad the picnic basket. My sister kicks me the soccer ball and we both start running around.

After a few minutes my dad runs up behind me and grabs me. He picks me up and starts swinging me. I start laughing hysterically with him. He throws me over his shoulder and over to my mom.

I sit down with her and she pulls out some watermelon. My dad and sister start playing with Emmet.

"I love you so much Skylar." My mom says as he pulls me on to her lap.

I look up at her beautiful gray eyes. "I love me too mom." I say. We both start laughing and I hear a click go off. We turn to my father who is smiling at us.

We all start laughing again. "Come on. Let's go get them." My mom says to me as we stand up.

I nod as she runs over to my father. I start to run but my legs slow down. "Skylar!" I hear.

I just watch my family having fun. I smile to myself.

Suddenly my whole body hurts. I feel something rising out of my chest. I try to move but I can't. The stuff in my throat goes higher until I cough it up. I now feel everything. My head hurts, I'm freezing, my chest is burning really really badly. I gasp for air as I start coughing.

I open my eyes. Hovering over me is Stone. His eyes are really wide. He just looks at me and sighs. I see relief go through his big eyes.

He hangs his head. I turn around and look at my surroundings. Hunter is holding a crying Avery as Rylee is on the phone talking to someone and Jake is also on the phone.