16. You See That Gold Coin Right There? Yeah, We're Gonna Steal It

Chapter 16

You See That Gold Coin Right There?  Yeah, We’re Gonna Steal It

Dinner with Max’s parents was fun.  I learned more about his childhood from Abigail, who was absolutely hilarious.  She even showed me some pictures of when Max was a toddler and they’d gone to the beach.  Max absolutely hated it and tried to get them from her, his face red.

When we were leaving the restaurant, Abigail had taken me into her arms to give me a hug. 

“I’ll bring more pictures the next time I see you,” she said when she pulled back, smiling. 

I laughed.  “That would be great!” I said.

“No, that would not,” Max said, coming up behind me.  He glared playfully at his mother.  “But if you absolutely have to, at least bring some where I’ve got clothes on.”

Abigail and I laughed as Max shook his head, rolling his eyes.

The next morning, we were all up and ready by six.  After having a quick breakfast, we were at the airport by seven since our flight left at nine.  We got through security and to the terminal without any hassle.

Max and I were sitting together, sharing my headphones and listening to my iPod. 

“So I’ve never been to D.C.,” Max said as I looked for a song to change it to.

“It’s like Boston, being one of those places where people like me absolutely love because of all the history.”  Finally seeing a song, I changed it to it and looked over at him.  “I think you’ll like it,” I said, smiling.

Max rolled his eyes, snorting.  “You like anything historical,” he said. 

I waved my hand in front of my face.  “Hence my searching for centuries lost historical artifacts,” I said. 

He laughed then, bumping his shoulder with mine. 

When our flight was called, Max and I followed behind my dad and Brielle toward the gate.  After settling into our first class seats, I smiled as I handed Max back the headphone that he’d had before.  He put it on while I chose the next song. 

“So your dad was talking to me about the gala at the museum.  You know, the one that we’ve been invited to?” Max started.

“Yeah, what about it?” I asked, looking through all of my songs again. 

“Apparently, after we visit the museum, you and Brielle and your father and I are going separate ways until we actually get there.”

I looked up at him with wide eyes and put one hand on his face.  “You mean I have to be away from your handsome face for more than five minutes?” I gasped.  He totally knew I was playing by his grin. 

He laughed, taking my hand in his to kiss my palm.  It sent fire throughout my entire body.  “You’ll survive,” he said, and then put his other hand on my face, keeping my hand in his other.  “But I don’t know how I’ll survive without seeing your beautiful face for that long.  But at least I know I’ll get to see you all dressed up for me.”  He wiggled his eyebrows.

I laughed, pinching his cheek.  “Aw, aren’t you just adorable!” I cooed. 

Max laughed with me as he pushed me away.  I just smiled, leaning myself back into my seat as I looked at him. 

“So I’m guessing you and my dad are going to get tuxes,” I said.  “And I get the torture of trying on evening gowns and heels.”

He bumped me with his shoulder.  “Don’t think that getting fitted for a suit isn’t torture either,” he said.  “I’ve had the pleasure of that experience before.”