20. Well, Wasn't That A Great 'I'm Glad We Didn't Die' Present

Chapter 20

Well, Wasn’t That A Great ‘I’m Glad We Didn’t Die’ Present

I couldn’t stop smiling as Max drove back to the hotel.  I checked every few moments just to make sure Edmund’s guy hadn’t found us again, but there was never any sign of him.

“That was amazing,” Max said for probably the hundredth time in the last ten minutes. 

I laughed.  “You can thank the awesome car chase scenes that I’ve seen in multiple movies for that.  Apparently, the stunts they do actually work, even though they warn you not to try them at home.”

“But still,” he said.  “For you to be able to think about doing that…amazing.”

It was only a few more minutes and six more compliments that we made it back to the hotel.  Once we got out, Max gave the keys to the valet at the front so he could park it in the hotel parking lot.  Taking my hand in his, he led me inside and toward the elevators. 

He didn’t let go of my hand as we rode slowly up to our floor.  If anything, he pulled me even more toward him, right to his side.

“Amazing,” he said quietly as we passed the third floor.  Only fourteen more to go.

“Can you even stop?” I asked, laughing.  “Besides, you’re the one who was doing the driving.  And yes, that was amazing.”

Max grinned again.  “Then we were both amazing…though you were definitely more.”

I reached over and smacked his arm.  “Shut up already!”

He laughed, pulling me in front of him.  “I need to make you shut up and stop telling me to shut up.”

“Oh, really?” I asked, laughing again.  “And how exactly do you plan on doing that?”

His expression turned thoughtful as he looked at me for a moment before pulling me right up against his chest and put the other hand that wasn’t holding mine to my cheek.  Slowly, glancing down at my lips every few moments, he leaned down and pressed his lips softly against mine. 

My heart was beating like crazy, but I still found myself leaning more into him.  My entire body was tingling as my hands ran up his arms before I wrapped my arms around his neck.

Just a moment later his tongue licked along my lower lip, wanting permission to enter.  It made me gasp, but I hesitantly let him deepen the kiss.  It took my breath away.

“Was that okay?” he asked, pulling back to lean his forehead against mine a few long moments later. 

I smiled slightly, keeping my eyes closed.  “Amazing,” I whispered, making him chuckle.

“Seems like I’m not the only one saying that now,” he said.

I opened my mouth to say something then, but the elevator doors opened.  Smiling once more at me, Max drug me out, almost literally since my legs still felt like jelly from the kiss.

Right when we reached the end of the hallway, the door to our hotel room opened and Brielle ran out.

“What happened?” she demanded as she hugged the life out of me.  “We got here twenty minutes ago!  Where have you been?!”

I laughed as I hugged her back.  “Quite acting like such a mom,” I said.

Dad walked up behind her and smiled, though I could see the relief in his eyes.

“A little help, Dad?” I ask.

He laughed, pulling Brielle away from me.  “Come on, honey,” he said to her.  “Let’s get them inside the room before they tell us anything, just in case.”