Chapter 8

“How long have you known?”

“Andy-”

“How long, Christina?!” I yelled cutting her off. “How long have you known what I am?!”

“Since 1999.” My head snapped up and looked at her. “You mean you’ve known this entire time?!” She nodded her head and I ran away as fast as I could go ignoring their yells. I ran through the rubble of buildings until I couldn’t run anymore. I fell to my knees and started crying. My best friends had kept a secret from me.

“Are you ok?” I looked up to see a girl with black hair, pale skin, and brown eyes standing above me. She wore filthy beat up clothes. I stared at her for a second before letting everything out to this strange girl. She just sat on the beach with me and said nothing. When I was done she gave me a hug.

“I can’t believe they kept something like that from you.” She said. “I can’t imagine what it would be like if I was never told who my dad really was!”

“Who is your dad by the way?” I asked when the tears had dried.

“Hades.” She said nonchalantly.

I stared at her like she had three heads. “You’re the daughter of the god of underworld?”

“He’s nothing like the movies. He’s got black hair yes but he’s a great father.” She said. “I’m Marie by the way.” I laughed.

“Andy. It’s nice to meet you Marie.”

“Same here my lady.” Laughing, we stood up and started back. As we walked along the beach we talked about random stuff like our parents, what it’s like being a child of Hades, my role, what the gods do... Apparently Hades is a lawyer who has to deal with appeals of people who think they didn’t deserve to die and he oversees the whole underworld and the reapers who gather the souls.

It didn’t take long before we arrived back to the rest of the group. Marie and I stopped just before them. “You should forgive them.” She said turning to me. “They may have lied to you but they still love you Andy.” Before I could respond Kyle, Christina, and Gerry stood in front of us.

“Andy. I’m so sorry I didn’t tell you this but we’re demi-gods and we were sent to protect you both.” Kyle said looking at me.

“Who are your god parents?” I asked wanting to know.

“I’m Zeus’s daughter, Kyle and Gerry are Hephaestus’ kids, Michelle is Aphrodite’s daughter, Luke is Ares’ son, Matt is Apollo’s son, and Mike is Athena’s son. Almost everyone else in this school including the staff are demi-gods as well.” I stared at them for a minute before hugging Christina, Kyle, and Gerry.

“I don’t care. I still love you guys.” All three of them were crying happy to hear that I still cared about them. We all stood holding each other tight. I pulled away and walked over to Michelle. She glared at me for a second before I hugged her.

“Thank you.” I whispered to her. She hugged back after a minute. “You’re actually a great person once someone gets to know you. I want you guys to meet someone.” I addressed the last part to the group. “Meet my newest friend, Marie, Daughter of Hades.” Everyone went forward and said hi to Marie welcoming her into the group. Harrison came up behind me and placed his chin on my shoulder as his arms wrapped around my waist.

“Let’s get you two to a room.” Christina said leading us away. As we walked everyone parted like the red sea bowing as we walked by. It was a little unnerving I must say. When we reached my dorm room. I walked in and sat down on the bed. Harrison sat next to me and leaned back against the wall. I crawled towards him snuggled into him with my head on his chest and his arm around me.

“It will be ok Andy.” I looked up into his amazing dark green eyes. I smiled and leaned up and gently pressed my lips to his. He put his hand on my cheek and gently kissed back. I pulled back just slightly. “I love you.” He said. I smiled and kissed him again. It was a sweet and happy kiss, the kind of kissed that proved that we were meant to be together. I know that sounds so cliché but it’s true. We broke and smiled at each other. He kissed my forehead and I snuggled back into his chest. He put his chin on my head and held me close. It was just the two of us in the room for a while before Luke and Kyle came in.

“Harrison. Andy. There is more to this than you think. We need to get you guys to Mount Olympus and fast. We already have the ship being prepared to take you two and everyone else to New York.” He explained and Kyle was packing my stuff. I stood up, pulled the letter from Dad out from its hiding place and placed it in a backpack along with a pencil, my iPod, the picture of my dad and me, and my family photo album. I paused before putting the picture of my dad and I in the bag. I held it closed to my chest and wished that he were here to help me through this. I felt a warm hand rub my back comforting me. I looked up and saw Harrison standing there smiling down at me. I put the photo in the bag and slung it on my back.

“Come on.” Kyle said as soon as the room was cleared. Hand in hand with Harrison I walked through the halls of the now empty school and on to a huge cruise like ship.

A girl with red brown hair led the two of us through many, many hallways and to a small silver elevator. She typed in a code and the doors opened. We walked in and stood quietly in the elevator as it rose. I squeezed Harrison’s hand scared of what was going to happen next. He squeezed back as if telling me that everything is going to be ok. The door opened and there was a white door and on either side of it were two huge columns and standing on those columns was what looked like a replica of the top of the Parthenon. I gasped in amazement. We walked into the door and into an amazing room.

The room was a pale aqua color the entire right side of the room was a tinted window that showed the sea. A huge mahogany four-poster bed with sea green sheets and curtains around it stood towards the back of the room. On the left side of the room was a small wardrobe next to a huge set of doors with gold trim. And two more doors next to that, one with silver trim and one with white.

 I walked in and stared at the ceiling for it was painted to look like the sky.

“This is your room, Highnesses.” The girl said not looking at us. “The room with gold trim is the closet, silver is the bathroom, and white is the salt-water (ocean) pool. That small wardrobe is the weapons cabinet. There is a phone next to the bed if you wish for something.” She bowed and was about to walk away.

“Wait.” I said. She turned and looked at me. “What’s your name?” She looked at me confused.

“Mara your Highness.” She said in a quiet voice. Now that I got a good look at her she seemed to be wearing old well-worn baggy clothes that majorly contrast with her toned skin.

“Please Mara just call me Andy when it’s just the three of us. May I ask who your god parent is?” She looked down at her feet.

“Ares.” She mumbled afraid that I would be disgusted.

“Why are you so scared Mara?” She looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

“Ares was put under a spell by Aphrodite in penance for cheating on her. He ended up sleeping with my mother and when the spell wore off he was disgusted and ran away. I was an accident child. I was never supposed to be born.”

“So?” I asked not seeing the reason.

“People don’t see me as fit to be the daughter of the god of War. I hate fighting and violence.”

“Just because you don’t think your fit doesn’t mean you’re not.” I said giving her a smile.

“Thank you my Lady.” She said before leaving. The doors closed and I fell onto the bed exhausted.

“I’m so tired.” I said curling up into a ball.

“Then get some sleep. I’ll wake you up if we’re needed.”

“Night.” I closed my eyes and fell asleep.