first

[ 이혜리 lee hye ri ]

"Mom, I'll get going now," I say while I reach for my bag.

"Take care, sweetie! Have fun on the first day!"

"I will."

I walk my way towards school. Today is my first day in a new environment, I'm kind of scared, kind of not.

My main objective is to join the swimming team. I hope I can.

[ time skip ]

"Welcome to this school, let us all work hard together and make this year fun," the advisory teacher up in front says.

Most students casually ignore the teacher and talk among themselves. I, of course, have to admit of doing so.

"My name is Lee Hye Ri. You?" I say to my neighboring seatmate.

"Kim Teu Rina. Nice meeting you~ Let's be good friends this year," she replies while sticking her hand out, offering a handshake; which I gladly accept.

Later the day, our teacher tells us we can join one club of our choice, and luckily for me, I have the perfect one: the swimming club.

We proceed to going to our respective club areas and I cheerfully dash my way to the pool while kind of getting lost with the turns.

To my amazement, there are a crowd of people in the club, a mix of old and new, I suppose. Unlike in my old school, where we only had 5 people in the club since the population of the place was not much.

The coach arrives in just a moment and asks us to settle down and separate the new and old members.

I go on the "new" side and I'm joined by 3 other girls. No guys. Most members gathered today are old and not many are joining this year, I guess.

"Welcome to the swimming club. I'm Coach Choi. There are no try-outs for the club but we do have for the actual team, which joins tournaments and the like. We'll be holding the try-outs for you newbies this weekend. So prepare yourselves. I'll call on the team cap to say whatever he wants."

A tall guy with a nice pair of eyes and a cheeky smile walks forward then beside the coach. He's a cute team captain. This is definitely going to be worth waking up every morning.

"Good day, everyone. It's nice to see familiar faces and some new ones too. I hope we can all get along well together. My name is Nam Joo Hyuk."

Two of the new girls near me silently giggle in delight and I can understand why, but I keep my feelings to myself.

"I'd like all the newbies to introduce themselves up here in front, but of course I'll let the old members go first so you won't be intimidated."

A group of sighs are audible coming from the old members.

After they give their short introductions, it's finally my turn.

"Lee Hye Ri. New student originally from the countryside. I've been swimming since I could move my limbs, probably. Nice to meet you all," I say and make a bow.

I get some claps here and there, then the other girls take their turns. From my perspective, I can see that the two googly-eyed girls are here for some eye candy, but the one other girl seems she's here without a hidden agenda.

After our first club day, we finally go home and I am one of the last to leave since I like taking time when it comes to swimming. It's like an escape from the troubles of reality.

Before I actually do leave, a hand grabs my wrist.

"Lee Hye Ri, right?"

I look back and see the team captain with his wet hair and I look at him with confusion. I look at his hand on my wrist then his eyes. He lets go after realizing the grip he has on me is kind of hard.

"I'm sorry. You're Lee Hye Ri. Am I right?"

"Yeah.... team captain, Nam Joo Hyuk?"

"That's me. Aren't you the girl who won the Women's 400m Freestyle last month?"

I laugh and think, someone actually recalls me winning that gold.

"Yeah, that's me."

"That's cool! You'll obviously get into the team right away."

"Thanks. I wish."

"You'll see. I'll get going now. You? My house is that way," he says and points to the same direction as where I'm heading.

"I'm going there too."

"Great! Let's go together then."

"Sure."

We walk together. It's silent, but not the awkward kind. It's a nice walk with a gentle breeze.

We reach a point where we have to separate ways so we bid our farewells and walk in opposite directions.

After a few steps, my wrist is grabbed yet again.

"I can't let you walk alone, sorry," Joohyuk says.

"I'm fine, really, there's no need."

"I'm fine with walking you. Unless you feel too uncomfortable."

"No, no. That's not it. It's actually okay with me. Thanks."

He doesn't reply but he flashes a grin and it makes my heart beat a little faster.

He's cute. Very.

"Don't forget practice tomorrow," he reminds me.

"I won't. Trust me."

After a while, we reach outside my house and I thank him for taking his time with me.

"No problem, I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'll see you then."

- - - e n d - - -

ello i hope this was an okay start ! im new to the k-world so im sorry for any mistakes like stuff that happen which arent very korean-y haha lol :) & i dont know much about swimming (im so not a swimmer)

i hope you liked it~

ciao, fabjules.

vote, comment & share~

written [170210]
published [170215]